Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trails near Bormio

Options
  • 29-05-2023 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here done any mountain biking around Bormio? I'll be there in July and am looking at doing the largely off-road trail to Livigno as well as maybe one of the downhill trails from Bormio 3000.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Cycled over towards Bormio last year from Livigno up the Passo Alpisella and around by Lago Di Cancano, a lot of fireroad type stuff towards Bormio, weather was shite so didn't quite make it to Bormio and headed back by the Passo Trela... Everywhere around Italian/Swiss alps is well sign posted.. Good to have a Swiss eSim if you wander over towards the Swiss border...

Though if you drive to Livigno you can do the bike parks on both sides of the Valley..i.e. Mottolino and Carosello 3000...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Thanks. I've cycled to Cancano on the road bike, as an aside that climb is amazing! Then I've done around the lakes up there with my kids and again it's spectacular.

Both Passo Trela & Alipsella look pretty amazing tbf.

Passo Trela & Alipsella are lovely natural trails down towards the Livigno lake, down towards Mottolino get the cable car back up towards Trepalle and back around the valley or get someone to pick you up in the car.. will need a good bit of fitness on some of those climbs...

My Gpx is probably no use as I started off from Livigno, but the Trailforks app is great as it works off Gps..

Yeah I'm building up the fitness now so should be good but if not will just hire an e-MTB to get me through. I definitely plan on doing the loop from Bormio to Livigno via one of those passes and back via the other so should be no need to get a lift back.

Actually considering I'll need to get up to Cancano in the first place an e-MTB could be essential!

• Advertisement

Depending on your fitness and weight the eMTb may or may not be a good option, I hired one from Livigno and had a mix of Turbo/Trail and Eco on the descents, thought I'd get hours out of it but in reality got around 2.5 hours out of it, for example uphill at the Passo Alpisella from Livigno is a 4km climb with a gradient of 12% so used a good bit of Turbo to get up that.. And it's really no fun cycling a 25kg ebike without the motor..

I'd say a pickup from Livigno area may be a better idea! :-D

That's good to know and e-bike weight had already been in my mind as I've never descended on one and wondered about control/handling with the extra weight. I'll definitely be doing a loop from the Bormio end though, I'm not driving to Livigno to cycle to Bormio and then back to Livigno to drive to Bormio again!

My fitness is ok, should be much better by then and my weight is low :)

It's possible I could drive to Cancano and hire from there but I'd much prefer to do door to door on the bike if I can. I'll email a couple of the bike shops in Bormio now and see what they say about battery range before I try to make a decision on it.

Thanks for the various responses above btw, plenty for me to consider and great to have some certainty around the right trails.

There's a place near Bormio/Cancano where you can drive to and hire a bike from, probably more like what you're looking for: https://www.e-stelvio.it/punto-noleggio-ai-laghi-di-cancano.html

Yes I rented bikes there last year when we cycled around the lakes with the kids. Amazed that we could even rent an electric MTB for my 6 year old who then cycled the 20km or so around the lakes as if it were nothing.

You're all set so, don't forget to get "Trailforks"...

• Advertisement

Just following up, I did this last week and it was incredible - from Cancano via Passo Trela on the way out and Alpisella on the way back. Glorious weather, was very glad of the motor on the bike! As you said the signposting is great, would have managed fine without GPS.

I also did Bormio 2000 to Santa Caterina di Valfurva on fire roads & trails with my 7 year old, again using electric mountain bikes. Similar experience, so easy to navigate and such an enjoyable day out. Thanks for the advice on it all above.

Brilliant! Sounds like you had the perfect conditions too, when I was there it was rainy and overcast some days and the good weather definitely helps..!

Advertisement