Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-Ireland winners jobs

Options
  • 28-05-2023 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

Something i was wondering recently.

Whatis the most unusual job an All-Ireland winner has had?

There's been hundreds of teachers etc over the years so somehing a bit different.

Also when was the last time some of the following won All-Irelands?

In football is Alan Quirke in 2010 the last from the Army? I know there's alo been a few with Kilkenny in hurling.

Jim Gavin was an  Air Corps officer so i'm guessing he's the last from there.

Has there ever been an All-Ireland winner from the Navy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Age Profile is getting younger and a lot more time required for trainings / recovery sessions etc lots of Students - Teachers - Full time GAA coachs .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Ben O Connor was/is a hurley maker.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Do you mean jobs or "jobs"?

Like I know there's been in the past "Business Development Manager" or "Fundraising manager" or "Games Development Officer" or "Business executive" titles but in reality, they didn't actually do much or even any work to earn the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

With the time commitments players and support teams have to give to the pursuit of top level GAA involvement there are very few employers outside of the public sector that would be able to give a player that flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭1373

1989 tipp captain Bobby Ryan , farmer . Any farmers playing at that level today ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

Noel Hickey of Kilkenny probably the last all ireland winning farmer. Might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

There hasn't been any priests since the 70's. Paddy Barry from Cork and Iggy Clarke from Galway.

Hurlers both I think.

Aidan O'Mahony is a Gard.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Kyle Hayes limerick" likes a bit of farming "they say

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Eamon Breen, Kerry, was a Plasterer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Antony daly bank worker now publican

fingers o'connell roofer

colin lynch block layer

niall gillagan , brian lohan auctioneer

davey fitz er.....irelands fittest family

other counties

kilkenny

DJ Carey ......Con Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Not a current all Ireland winner with Galway but fintan burke is an electrician. Bucks the trend a bit for current intercounty players.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Shane O Donnell has, or will soon have, a pretty complex job in physics or chemistry or something along those lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Was always impressed by Jack McCaffrey balancing medical studies/career and being one of the top gaa players in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭brokenbad

A lot of inter county GAA players from the 80's and 90's would have been "Bank Officials" or "Sales Reps" - nowadays it seems a lot of inter county players choose a "career" which revolves around their hurling/football commitments as opposed to the other way round......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭cms88

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Kevin Moran, a professional soccer player😉

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭BK5

Gerry McEntee, Meath footballer from the 80's was and still is one of the countries top surgeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,423 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Seamus Flanagan - Radiographer is pretty interesting

He's from a very intelligent family in general

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Ja Fallon ..postman

• Advertisement

Brian Whelehan (Offaly) started off as a meat delivery driver for Carroll Meats but eventually progressed to having his own pub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭crossman47

Ring drove an oil lorry. the company never capitalised on his fame. He always had a hurley in the cab and practised while tanks were being filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Some of the Dublin team of the the 70s and 80s went on to be very successful in their careers. Dr Pat O Neill works in the Mater, Dr David Hickey in Mater or Beaumont, Tony Hanahoe big solicitor firm on the quays and corner of Parliament St. Brian Mullins had a good gig up in UCD I think. Heffo himself had an electrical business. Pat Gilroy now head of a multi million euro business.

Few of the current Dubs players Brian Fenton Physio, Mick Fitz Physio, Philly McMahon runs gyms, Kev McMenamin Sports Pyschologist, Stephen Cluxton Teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

A fair few "influencers" selling liver fluke treatments and the like afew years ago! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Gael85

Fenton is now a Sales Rep and Fitzsimons is a doctor now.

Ok thanks. Jack McCaffrey another doctor. Do you know what James McCarthy works at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭cosatron

Mikey butler kk corner back is a dairy farmers with his pops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Gael85

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭cal naughton

Same with Liam silke Galway. Both high achiever. Just club all Ireland's though i suppose.

Advertisement