Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounting solar to roof bars

Options
  • 26-05-2023 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭

We have a LWB transporter with roof bars running lengthways down the van.

What's the easiest way to mount solar to the roof bars, as opposed to the van roof.

Cabling should be fine, just the physical panel mounting.

Bonus if it's removable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Probably need a backing plate to avoid flexing?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

And something to stop massive wind lift when driving

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

Hi did you manage to sort this? I am about to start work on a conversion and was hoping to do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have it firmly on the king finger!

Have the panel, controller and wiring bought but have yet to buy the horizontal rails to put each end of the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Be interested in hearing about your conversion also if you have a thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

I'm interested to see how you get on as well. I have come across some videos of people using unistruct and extruded aluminum with the panels bolted on to the cross members.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Just put a flexi panel on roof of my camper. 3M VHB Tape 2.2mm or 2.9mm thick and 19mm wide, I'd uses 25mm next time. Make sure to run the tape all the way to the edges and several strips the full length of the panel. I left it in place with a bag of play sand on it for week to keep gentle pressure on it. The bond get stronger over time. 24 hours in needed, I was doing it when I has time so that became a week.

Used Gorilla's version of eternabond tape seal the edges so wind doesn't lift it. And tech 7 to seal the back if it from water. Then used tech7 to stick down the wiring and reused an existing hole to run the cables and sealed it with tech7, due to location of hole I couldn't use a cable entry box. It's only 50Ws but I only need it to slowly charge the battery so it doesn't go flat. Last part to do is wire up the engine battery to controller so that it can trickle charge it. It supports that.

Post edited by spaceHopper on

Advertisement