Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a battery powered strimmer - light garden use up to 120 Euro

Options
  • 26-05-2023 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

as the thread title suggests, I am looking to get a battery powered strimmer.

Usage will be a suburban garden, mainly for keeping weeds and long grass around trees along walls under control. Maybe edging scutch grass along kerbing also.

I probably need about 20 minutes usage between charges if that is possible. Longer is better.

I would hope to get at least 5-6 seasons out of it, so doesn't have to be high end, but I don't want rubbish that will break in a few months.

I don't know anything about cordless strimmers though - I assume they still use nylon string to strim?

Are the higher voltage batteries better/more powerful ?

What is a good brand?

Friends speak highly of Ryobi DIY gear like drills etc. But I don't have any of these.

Budget 100-120 euro, but if something cheaper will get the job done, I'm happy to look at that.

Thanks,

MtM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I have a WORX and love it.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭phormium

I have a Mac Allister one I got in Screwfix but they don't seem to have them anymore, definitely less than 100 euro and probably more like 70/80ish as that's about the max I'd pay, I'd have bought one in Lidl/Aldi except it was out of season when old one gave up.

I've only ever had two over many years so both lasted well, original was a supermarket one. I picked the Mac because I already had the blower of that brand so batteries are same which gives me 2 charged for either at any given time if I needed them.

Ideally if you have battery stuff already it's handy to keep to something that uses same battery, if not then I'd chance any of the ones in your price range in Screwfix if you can't find cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Looks like some of the newer strimmers can turn 90 degrees sideways and double as an edger as well.

Is there a particular brand or model that's particularly good for this?

Is it easy to get spare parts like the nylon string for Worx? Hadn't heard of them much before.

MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Is it easy to get spare parts like the nylon string for Worx? Hadn't heard of them much before.

The nylon line is universal just get the right diameter for your strimmer. In most cases the heads are also replaceable as there is a certain degree of standardisation in the thread size the strimmer head attaches to.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭phormium

Both types I had did that, fairly standard I would have thought at this stage and definitely necessary if edging lawns. Actually my son in law has a big petrol one but it doesn't do that switch as I'd imagine it's meant for much stronger work that edging the few lawns and neatening up under the hedge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,107 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I bought that one recently after a recommendation on here. Really like it. Very light and easy to use. Might need a second battery though. The edging feature, whilst good would not be as strog as a dedicated edger, but will allow you to keep them in check with regular use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Got a Skil one and I'm very happy with it. It is very small and easily handled compared to what I've used in the past which were all petrol strimmers, does make progress feel a lot slower just.

https://www.handyhardware.ie/Skil-Cordless-strimmer-0240-AA_p_83082.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw1MajBhAcEiwAagW9MS4EkFXBwBUDpk3uEyOsCkgxVzN2e21UosPv-irv2ktjgIYsydI3CBoCUXYQAvD_BwE

Do you have any other battery operated tools like drills or saws? You can then tie in the brandof strimmer eg. Makita with them to save paying for new battery and charger.

Thanks for the link. No, I currently don't have cordless drills etc.

However, eventually, my petrol lawnmower will need replacing and I would be tempted to go electric for the size of lawn that I have.

Similarly, my old corded Bosch Drill will need replacing over the coming years.

Would be good if I could share batteries between lawnmower and strimmer, drill etc.

Note if you search you'll find that handyhardware.ie doesn't get to many endorsements here.

They're not who I bought off just where have it listed online.

• Advertisement

I sort of guessed that as if you had ordered it from them there would be a chance you were still waiting :-)

Skil do have a range of battery lawn mowers and drills. If it was me and in that position if I had the budget would stretch to a brand like Makita for the range of equipment. Anything outside the big brands Milwaukee DeWalt etc will be a throwaway item when it comes to any issue down the line.

The DeWalt one is good (my wife bought one last year) but very hard to justify the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I bought a Worx one as well recently and have no issues with it. I decided to go all-in on Worx for my outdoor tools, so my lawnmower takes 2 worx batteries, and my strimmer and small handheld powerwasher (good for light coloured patio tile ongoing upkeep) all take the same batteries - so 3 batteries between 4 items works well for me.

That said, they're 2ah batteries that come with it - so no time for faffing around!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I have the Ryobi One+ Strimmer, had a petrol one before and it broke my heart. The Ryobi one is brilliant, get roughly 40 mins use out of it which is more than enough to do my front and back garden twice and it does exactly what i require of it, think i picked it up for about 90 quid on amazon, that was without a battery as i already had a ryobi impact driver and cordless drill which both had batteries. If you can see yourself picking up more tools in the future (hedge trimmers \ leaf blower \ sander \ drill etc) then it makes sense to try and stick with one brand, whatever you go with, go with a recognised brand, dont go for the Lidl \ Aldi middle aisle stuff you will regret it in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

CBA making a new thread, anyone tried the 450w corded light strimmer in Lidl atm? I assume it will be fine for tidying up a standard suburban hedge?

On the same note seen a Titan strimmer in Screwfix Newry over the weekend for 59.99 Sterling with battery and charger, could never go wrong at that price.

Advertisement