Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR - does anybody really care?

Options
  • 26-05-2023 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭

Record fine this week for Meta (and 500 jobs lost to boot) due to the thing called GDPR.

It’s been a PITA ever since the EU autocrats forced it on us all a few years ago.

So what if they send our data to the US. It’s just data, we will survive regardless.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

I care

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Allinall

It's the woke of the IT world.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,195 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Gosh! Somebody who gullibly swallows and regurgitates right-wing anti-EU tropes also has a deferential attitude to the commercial interests of big corporates, and is dismissive of concerns about the rights and interests of the individual! Who could possibly have foreseen this strikingly unusual combination of characteristics in one person!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,649 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Monsignor Jeffrey Burrill cares.

If he was in Europe, his data wouldn't have been harvested in this way, not legally anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’ll see your gay catholic bishop and raise you one slime-ball politician who didn’t have to reveal who gave him €1million to pay off his mortgage arrears - while he was in office - quoting data protection rules. And the judge was fine with it. 🤬

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/lord-mayor-of-dublin-raises-1m-to-halt-repossession-of-his-home-1.3786907

• Advertisement

I’m taking that as a compliment. Thank you. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

The Gloomster is bored and being provocative. Go out and enjoy the sun!

Why would he have to reveal his source to the judge? It's a civil action between the banks and the tosser ex Mayor. If the bank is happy to get funds, it's not really any of the judges business where the money came from. If the judge or yourself or anyone else involved has any particular concerns about the source of funds, the anti money laundering reporting processes are well established.

The fact that the tosser ex Mayor referenced data protection does not mean that the judge was fine with it or accepted. It just means that the judge knew that couldn't force the tosser ex Mayor to reveal the source of the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Data is very powerful tool to generate income. Anything from to and between personal data and customer profiling. We have data analytics for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

But do we? GDPR is used in all sorts of ridiculous ways to frustrate the public. Hardly a good excuse for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,710 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

GDPR is *mis*used in all sorts of ridiculous ways, certainly. misused as in incorrectly used; as a shield to hide behind where GDPR doesn't actually apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

It doesn't need thoughts. If you think about it you wouldn't allow it, it's as simple as that.

Your data going to the US benefits you how?

I'm sure if there is a legitimate reason and you want to share your data you will be allowed to do so.

What data is GDPR preventing you from sending at the moment and to who?

I'm sure any data that you have no wish to retain control over is not going to be a problem sharing with the users of "boards.ie" ?

There was a phrase once, "knowledge is power". It has been masked somewhat by pages and pages of text that people "page down" to tick the box at the bottom.

Do you ever wonder why you need to hit the page down key so often or what it means when for instance you buy an airline ticket?

Quite a few found out at quite a cost.

What's a European Autocrat?

Do you know the EU has 27 members and directives have to be voted on, studied and passed into law in each of the member countries?

What was your MEP's response to your observations?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

GDPR is necessary.

25 years ago we were not buying practically anything online. That has changed.

we were walking into actual businesses, in buildings purchasing clothing, electronics, CDs, furniture, weekly shopping etc….

now practically everything we buy online, we have to give copious amounts of information over to businesses whereas all the above, we in times before gave them nothing aside from cash…. They didn’t know who we were…where we lived, they’d no email, contact number, just or cash… but that’s not good enough any longer…. now even in in person transactions, we are being handed forms, cards to fill in personal information…one clothing retailer handed me one, I promptly binned it in front of her.

now we are conditioned to be handing over along with our money, copious amounts of our information, free gratis a lot of which they don’t need but a lot of private info which they do, in order to secure the transaction…. Fine but I don’t want Freefall Insurance selling my address information to Skyfall insurance, i don’t want super fitness selling my mobile number to team leisurewear….

information we impart to a company should only be provided and considered to be provided in order to complete a transaction and to manage the account and directly provide a service …….

it should be treated as sacrosanct , private…with legal regulations to prevent its disclosure to all third parties….

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

see that 10 billion budget surplus that miraculously is going to fix everything thats wrong in Ireland? Thats the other side of GDPR.

If Ireland wants to be the centre of european data storage, then it cannot be the 51st state of america. Ireland has to play by the european rules in order to be the european centre of data processing and treat data the way that a majority of european countries want it, not how the lazy USA companies want it.

Even the facebook thing was bonkers. The irish regulator said all was grand, no need for a fine, sure the yanks are a great bunch of lads. The EU went, read the rules (and look at that GIGANTIC budget surplus made on the back of taxpayers across the continent from Google etc being "based" in ireland) and Ireland then went, flip, yea, its actually a 1billion euro fine because we are clueless and cant regulate a piss up in a brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It’s been a PITA ever since the EU autocrats forced it on us all a few years ago.

The GDPR, as a Regulation, was passed by both the European Parliament (comprised of elected MEPs) and the Council of the European Union (comprised of Government Ministers from the EU member nations) - all of whom are democratically elected to their respective positions by the electorate of the EU, with a specific mandate to vote on such matters.

Anybody here elect Phil Hogen to be EU Commissioner? Nope, it was a shoe-in by politicians to give other politicians jobs. To bring in rules like GDPR.

Anybody here with a business probably has a website to promote it. What do you do with the cookies you harvest from your site visitors? Chances are, absolutely nothing. If, like myself, you wouldn’t know a cookie from a chip, then why do you have to run one of those cookie disclaimers before people can visit your site?

Beaurocratic nonsense.

Was going to a wake in someone’s house during the week. I’d no idea of the address but the person I was going with had an old phone directory and looked up their address. We used to print everyone’s name and address and hand it out free to everyone else. Remember Thom’s Directory. It was produced specifically so companies could sell door to door and know who they’ll be speaking to before they ring the bell. Did the world end?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you think it is beauricratic nonsense, why not post up your name, address and any medical details here?

Otherwise, stop trolling this site with your crap!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,238 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It was produced specifically so companies could sell door to door and know who they’ll be speaking to before they ring the bell.

like... who would want rules to prevent that from actually happening !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

no idea tbh, it's not like you couldn't find out one way or another anyway.

interesting

how would you find out, today, the name and address of every homeowner in a housing development ?

• Advertisement

No one ever elected an EU Commissioner. It's a senior civil servant position, not a politician.

And he didn't bring in GDPR. The European Parliament of elected politicians brought in GDPR.

If you don't want a cookie disclaimer, tell your web developer to remove cookies. It's not hard really.

I went to a funeral in NI recently. As I passed the family home, there was a huge 'WAKE' sign on the grass verge, obviously a local tradition. I certainly wouldn't want my name and address available to all, in the way Thoms Directory or the phonebook had. We were always ex-directory anyway, when it came to the phone book.

How has GDPR frustrated you as a member of the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

If Gloomster really believes the crap he is writing it will be difficult to take seriously anything from him in the future.

Some other posts are equally daft.

GDPR might at times be a PITA but it is a necessary one.

Thoms Directory info  always was years out of date, as anybody who has used one would know. It is far more useful to obtain the electoral registers which are both more up to date and also include everyone aged over 18 living at an address (On-line availability recently stopped by DPC under GDPR rules, BUT  for e.g. DublinRegister is available in hard copy at Pearse St library).

META have cut back globally, like most ICT businesses, the layoff had nothing to do with the GDPR ruling as implied above.

Many companies have welcomed GDPR as it allows them escape data retention – e.g. A few years ago I looked for PRSI contribution history from a previous employer – “Sorry, have none of your records, all destroyed, we cannot keep them due to GDPR.”

Anybody working in a financial services role in Ireland takes GDPR  very seriously, due to IAF and SEAR (Individual Accountability Framework and Senior Executive Accountability Regime). as parts are enacted since April and more are coming down the track. Individual fines and jail are not a nice thought.

Simple really, the internet's your friend if you're willing to put a little work in, cross reference.

LOL

so you think you can find the name of every homeowner in a housing estate from t'internet.

go ahead then...... lets see you show this magic :D

What exactly do you want? You can find names associated with locales and addresses all over, it's not that hard, it's not something I do but I know it's possible, I worked in sales long enough to know if you want to find a contact you can, it's even easier if you just ask in person.

Lol you don't even know what you're arguing anymore.

You can't back up what you said, as I asserted. Qed

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you getting this information from something that people have volunteered to be made public e.g. a Facebook profile search or that an organisation just has made available, possibly without the consent of the individual?

Think you should re-read the post; I don't get the information but I know it's possible; this would be publicly shared info btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The phone book had everyone's address except for everyone who opted to be ex directory

The phone book also didn't keep track of everyone you ever looked up, and then tell you whenever they changed their phone number or moved to a different address, it also didn't track what stuff that person looked at on TV, or in mail order catalogues, or what things they bought in the supermarket, or what political views they held, or who their friends are and what associations they have....

GDPR is a bit of a PITA sometimes, mainly because some people are too dumb to understand it properly, but in general, it's pretty straight forward. You're allowed to store and process data as long as you collected it openly, and you're only allowed to use it for the specific purpose it was collected for, and only allowed to retain it for as long as there is a legitimate business reason to retain that data for the purpose it was collected.

If corporations could be trusted to act in good faith with the information we trust them with to complete transactions and provide services, then we wouldn't need GDPR. But they so obviously cannot be trusted (Cambridge Analytica for one obvious example)

Advertisement