If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Building Regulations

  • 23-05-2023 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

    Hi guys, I had my house renovated last year and there is air leakage through every windowboard and majority of skirting boards in the house. I hired an engineer to design an extension for the house but also to sign off on building regulations. Should this air leakage not have been discovered by him before signing, or is it something else?


  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

    Depends what the engineer and/or builder was supposed to be doing - if they were responsible for the extension or for the house renovation as well?

    If the house was renovated what did that include and were there proposals to achieve a level of air-tightness in the existing house?

    Did you replace windows and window boards or do any works to them?

    Did you replace floors or skirtings?

    Was Building Regulations for the extension or for other works to the house?

    It can be difficult to achieve air-tightness in existing houses depending on the nature of renovations.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

    The air tightness pass criteria in our b.regs is piss poor and it is likely that even with the air leakage you have found, it is within the b.reg criteria for passing.

    Maybe, speak with / ask your engineer what the air tightness test result was.

  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

    You hired the engineer for the extension. But are the air leaks in the main house that was built before his engagement?

  • Subscribers Posts: 41,586 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

    Whats the wall construction?

    215 cavity block and internal drylining?

  • Registered Users Posts: 39,325 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

    What type of engineer did you hire?

    People hire structural engineers to build houses and then wonder why the only part designed well is the beams in the attic

  • Advertisement