Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying an Irish Classic on UK Plates

Options
  • 22-05-2023 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in a classic car that is currently irish owned (brought in last year I believe) but it is still on UK plates. I understand the VRT requirement (200e?) and that I'll need to get it NCT'd etc but is there a chance I would be caught for customs and VAT as well or would that be linked to the current owner that brought the car in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭JP 1800

If you are really interested ask the owner to put it on Irish plates before you buy it . If they are reluctant, that will tell you all you need to know about the cost and hassle involved. There are a lot of cars out there that were not cleared before Brexit, even though there was plenty of notice. Those cars now can be a lot of hassle to clear and may incur extra expense. Some people were too lazy or cheap to clear them at the time and now their potential pool of buyers has shrunk as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭bemak

That's a great point. He since came back and said that it was all cleared etc but I like your idea of putting it back on them completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Might be one that was waiting to turn 30 in a shed. VRT office will look for ferry receipts or a receipt from a transporter, receipt from the sale in England etc.

A bit like all the ads on DoneDeal ‘Just needs X for the NCT, easy fix, too busy to do it.’ If it was easy they’d have done it.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Vat will be due, ring revenue and they will confirm. They're very helpful.

Advertisement