Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information on re-wiring and general practices

Options
  • 21-05-2023 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have a house that needs re-wiring. Apart from the fact that sparky's are rare as hens teeth/do not reply/too busy, I am going to charge along getting set up for the re-wire and hopefully save some money in doing so. I am a very capable and hands on person that is doing most of the rest of the construction myself anyway. Below are some questions I have.

So can I pull through all my own wiring? Obviously I would have to be careful not snagging the wires and damaging the outer protective casing. Also labelling everything accurately.

Can I chase my own walls for the new socket position?

Does the chased wiring need conduit as well, or can it be plastered straight over? If there is a need for conduit why not just make it decorative and do away with the chasing?

Can I purchase all my own electrical fittings? Mostly sockets, light switches, USB sockets, cooker switches etc. I have had one quote for the work but I wasn't provided with the cost of these individual items. Is that normal?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

You can probably help with the wall chasing

No point doing anything til u consult with rec .

All the points have a regulation height and location etc

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

Where are you located? PM if suits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

You cannot carry out any Restricted Electrical Works, so really don't do anything. Even things which you could legally do could only ever be done with the Electrician's prior agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Perks

@LJB Chef If there is a need for conduit why not just make it decorative and do away with the chasing?

Love if you could show me some examples of decorative conduit.

Get back to the one quote you got, tell them your keen to work with them and ask for new quote based on you doing the chasing.

Yes perfectly normal to purchase your own electrical fittings.

Surface domestic wiring isn't usually a great job

Better to make a mess and have it buried

• Advertisement

I wouldn't agree that it's "normal", and many Electricians may not agree to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

You will need your electrician to sign off on all works including any DIY works. Electricians may be rightly hesitant to sign off anything they have not personally designed, checked and wired.

That said if you have a friendly electrician you might be able to save some money working with them as an "apprentice" type. The electrician would need to mark out all works required. The location of switches sockets etc. There are lots of regulations on location, height, how to wire etc.

First thing I would do is confirm if a full rewire is actually required, then get a few quotes for the entire job, then you can negotiate performing some of the work or being on site every day they are there and helping out.

I would not purchase anything yourself. Electricians can get massive discounts at wholesalers and you want matching switches, sockets and the right type of wire and conduit etc.

There is also risk of electrocution if you try work on new system while the old system is still in use nearby.

You should also consider upgrades if going all out such as wiring for zoned and wall thermostat for heating and maybe plumbing upgrades if heavy destruction is planned.

Dunno about massive discounts .

It would help the homeowner to have his research done or get help on the spec and brands

If you ask wholesaler for a generic quote you'll probably get a lot of junk . Garo boards, cheap bell trafos , ionization smoke alarms , cheap sockets etc.

An Electrician cannot sign off DIY works. Only self-certification is permitted.

Advertisement