Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are football fans in Dublin connected with any political matters?

Options
  • 21-05-2023 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi latley I was at few stadiums in Dublin watching the league of Ireland.

I have a question about Dublin teams/fans. For example Bohs and Rovers. Are both teams/fans connected to a political left or right sides? I've seen loads of lgbt promotion lately + both on Bohs and Rovers stickers about anti facist etc.

Are those teams connected to antifa groups? Does fans accept antifa and lgbt etc? I've seen many things lately at football grounds which are not connected to football more to politics etc. I wish to know the mentioned Bohemians or Rovers if they support any of these things or is it more club's agenda than fans/ultras?

As we all know Ireland is highly tolerant country, I just wonder all these anti facist and anthi homofobic campaigns, what the purpose of them in here? Any specific reason for it? To be honest I never seen anything connected to facist at all in Ireland etc therefore it seems a bit wierd.

thanks for answers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

The Irish working class is traditionally left of centre, partially for historical reasons, and football is mainly a working class sport. There is not much support for fascism in Ireland but recently there have been problems with a refugee encampment being burned down. Of course there are plenty of individual Bohs and Shels supporters who are right wing and against immigration, against LGBT, etc but the clubs official supporters organisations will never be seen to officially support them.

The teams are not formally connected to Antifa that I'm aware of, it's more of a public relations thing to be seen to be against the far right, pro LGBT etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Guest193

I was on Shamrock Rovers stadium lately and seen a stickers with a crossed out swastika and celts cross saying ''anti facist''. Heard somewhere Rovers fans were "right"? but once also I'v seen a photo on the internet from an away game where there was antifa flag in the away Rovers end. Guess it's all mixed up? bit of right and left? But with my experience when I was at Dublin stadiums I never seen anything from "right" to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Is there an Antifa organisation in Ireland. Is the OP trying to paint people in a certain kind of light given how some people see Antifa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Antifa isn't really a thing (as much as the far-right push for it) especially in Ireland. You do get counter protesters at anti-immigrant rallies but they're typically drawn from the likes of People Before Profit or just random people. You might be able to find a twitter or facebook account with the antifa logo on it but it's not an organisation with members in the same way as the likes of the National Party or the Irish Freedom Party.

Bohemians have strong left of centre politics. They've had pro immigrant messages on their jerseys in the past. I don't see anything sinister in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Hungry Burger

Personally I think Politics should be left out of sport. Everything in our society has become hyper politicised and polarised by American left/right style politics, which we traditionally never really had here to that degree.

I’m a big LOI fan but I’m glad my club doesn’t engage in this sort of thing. I wouldn’t be happy wearing a soccer jersey with ANY political sloganeering on it whether I personally agreed with it or not.

• Advertisement

Totally agree, the only thing I'd add is its partially a UK thing, eg Rangers and Celtic, also in Europe some of the Italian supporters clubs are very political. We don't need that s.hit in LOI or Irish sport in general, we have enough historical baggage. If someone wants to ally themselves with say Israel or Palestine they should do it at a political rally. Of course vast majority of the Rangers and Celtic fans who fly Israeli or Palestinian flags at games have probably never even met an Israeli or Palestinian citizen, they just fly certain flags to antagonise the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Hillarious.

more polarising fascism.

WTF? CIA? KGB?

This entire forum has become polluted in the last month with OP's opening up really polarising topics?

Usually along very similar themes. Typically, rural v urban.

Now a new reg op ( see above ) has gone to Dalymount and is wondering if Friday night soccer is a melting pot of winged politics?

mother of christ.

My topic is not to do with politics. It's the opposite, thats why I asked why is this brought to the LOI stadiums? rainbow captains bands, rainbow corner flags etc, is there need for it? I'm not homofobic and I think peoples sexuality is a private thing and it's not up to us to judge it and no need whatsoever to bring it to the football pitch. Football should be only about football all this campaigns are a joke. My question was more if fans accept it or not, because I wish to know it before I go to a football match again so I dont end up (accidently) supporting something I dont want...

• Advertisement

Most Irish people support LGBT rights, i would guess most LOI supporters do, others dont or have no interest in the subject. What about if someone turned up to watch a football match wearing, say, a music band t-shirt? Would you find that objectionable? Where would you draw the line?

I would agree that captains wearing LGBT bands is a bit pointless and strikes me as virtue signalling but on the other side of things consider there are no out LGBT players in the English Premier league and I'm not aware of any in LOI

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I was supporting Bohemians since the mid / late 1980’s. Some Bohemians supporters in recent times went off in a particularly left wing woke oppressive mindset …it detracts from the football, the atmosphere and the club itself because all of a sudden, the football is in danger of becoming a backdrop.

you go to Bohs matches now and you 100% will almost see more banners and signs that relate to specific left wing social and political causes then you will see for supporting the team….that’s a shame really because sport is about competition, competing, winning, entertainment, excitement and success.

As a club who were in huge debt they learned nothing….They’ve donated thousands of euros from shirt sales, foregone tens of thousands in sponsorship money to have instead certain slogans on their shirts.. and painted onto their stadium…

that’s not a one off that is a legitimate match day shirt ^^^^

Maybe their commercial guy might pick up the phone to Hyundai, Tesco, Dublin Bus, whoever… and say hey the league has a higher profile, greater attention and attendances…. Would you like to have your brand, on our shirt, in the match day programme and pitch side ? Cost you xx,xxx a year….?

but this fascination they have with social ‘justice’ and causes…..

people invest in the club and team with hard earned cash, effort and heart… yet the priority for the club and some fans isn’t supporting the team and club in its quest to win their first league championship since 2009…it’s continuing to enable the woke sideshow… and continue this self congratulatory ego schtick that goes with it.

can they perhaps prioritise the football, shut it with the WOKE drivel and be a fûckin successful football team and club ? We shall see….

seems to be strong support amongst the hardcore though which is a shame.

I saw a female hockey player wearing a rainbow armband?

If you are worried so much about it I suggest you find another SPORT to support.

Are you in the CIA or the KGB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

About 20 years ago it was Bohs and Rovers who were the only two teams politicized, so to speak (leaving aside Derry City for obvious reasons).

Bohs and Rovers support would basically try to out Republican each other at a time when Sinn Fein had a handful of TDs. Nowadays, Bohs seem to have gone on a complete mad one with left wing crusades. I’m not sure all, if not most of their fans are on board with this.

I’d know more Bohs than Rovers fans. Rovers used to be tight with Celtic and to some extent Cliftonville - not sure about today.

Would you ever behave. Football and politics have forever been intertwined. It has been one of few avenues for the average person to express themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It’s easy to take that kind of position when you’re not impacted by facists and homophobes.

Ah yes the classic “Anyone who disagrees with me is a fascist” line

Can you mention what team is that? It's nice to hear there is some teams like that...

@Strumms

Can you not accept that these woke agendas and the facilitating of them by your club is actually a pretty shrewd attempt at trying to build their fanbase? By promoting fringe agendas or indeed new movements they are broadening the reach of their potential fanbase?

Common law of business is to get there first.

I've no idea how you twisted that from what I said, so to avoid any confusion, I don't believe that anyone who disagrees with me is a facist.

I do know that facists exist in Ireland and homophobes exist in Ireland, and both organise in groups, often being the same people, with the objectives of making lives miserable for people who are different in race or religion or ethnicity or sexual orientation or gender identity. This stuff is happening all over the place. You'll see the vaguely polite version of this all over boards.ie and the less polite versions all over other social media.

If you're a middle aged white man, it's easy to say that there's no need for anti racism, anti facist or anti homophobe campaigns or activity. If you're one of the people who's life is being made miserable by these groups, or if you're a person with basic amount of human empathy, you'll see the value in organisations taking up these positions.

Football has had very deeply embedded problems with racism and homophobia, with chants from the stands and bananas being thrown onto the pitch. It's not coming from a position of 'nothing to see here', which is why positive action is required and welcome.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Maybe the likes of Bohs are trying to tap into all the non Irish who have moved here over the years to come to games and support them .Most people are against racism and any discrimination I presume .

Even if your claims about Ireland being a horribly bigoted place full of “fascists and homophobes” was true (which it definitely is not) I still fail to see what any of that has to do with football. I’ve been following LOI for years and can tell you first hand that any type of racism is not tolerated and if any club’s supporters were engaged in such a thing they would be named, shamed and the club fined.

It’s seems a certain cohort in this country think that a few protests around the place against Irelands AS process is akin to the brown shirts goose stepping around Germany in the 1930s. Truly a bizarre worldview to live under.

Where exactly did I say that Ireland "is a horribly bigoted place full of “fascists and homophobes”"? Funny how you have to exaggerate wildly to have something to complain about.

Maybe have a read of this before you respond:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

How could anyone have a problem with not-negative fan engagement? Anything fan groups do that isn't mindless violence or destruction should be encouraged

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Dublin is a tolerant city. It's hardly surprising that the cities sports scenes are tolerant & accepting & proud to be so. It is what it is, there's no ulterior motive, no malice. You ask what's the purpose of being proud & confident of their lack of prejudice? Probably to use their platform to set a good example. Strange thing to be questioning to be honest, it's fairly obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Just read this as I posted. 100% & it goes further than not-negative, it's forward thinking, positive & constructively pragmatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,262 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Mostly it is apolitical, there are a few rich kids who went on holidays to Germany once and think that they are creating FC St. Pauli in Dublin, with all the brand marketing opportunities but most fans just want to enjoy the game, same as any other sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Most people are against racism and any discrimination I presume .

Well they are and they aren't.

Many of these non Irish may be in agreement with the anti-racism initiatives but be totally against any LGBTQ+ rights initiatives.

• Advertisement

St Pauli is terrible fan base. They are left, and I can say facist left, I don't know how Celtic fans can be friends with them and I think Bohemians like them too?

So to sum up Dublin fans

Bohemians very left leaning

Shelbourne left leaning

Shamrock Rovers bit of left and right? I'v read on the internet they use to be right but I think it was only Bohs fans accusations? Been on Tallaght and seen nothing but left leaning impression.

St Patrick left?

Advertisement