Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killers of the Flower Moon - Martin Scorsese - AppleTV+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Best movie in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Killers of the Flower Moon – 8/10

I’ve never been one to moan about movies that are populated by unlikable characters, but this story is on another level. Your locked in with a bunch of evil fuckers for 3 and a half hours. I can see how that may a bit too testing for some audiences. 

Great performances across the board, especially Gladstone and De Niro. It’s rare that you see a return to form quite like De Niro in this and The Irishman. Hopefully this time he doesn’t get snubbed at the Oscars. It would be good to see this late-stage career revival get some recognition. 

This is Scorsese’s first time working with legendary production designer Jack Fisk and it is a match made in heaven. That kind of attention to detail helps so much with period films like this and helps to create the absorbing atmosphere that such a gloomy psychological drama needs.

There’s a debate to be had about whether too much information gets revealed too soon. It’s always important to consider how much information you want to give an audience. Here you know exactly what is going on for almost the entire runtime. There’s very little for you to figure out. It only started to feel its length in the final half hour, but it’s hard to see how it could be trimmed down without removing something important. 

Di Caprio seemed to be channelling early De Niro with some of his grimaces and grins, though I’m not sure about his Marlon Brando jaw.

If you want to kill three and a half hours with gloom, look no further than Killers of the Flower Moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Been waiting for this to come to Apple but guess that won’t be till March/April. Is this movie anything like ‘there will be blood’?? That’s one my fav films and at around 2hrs 40mins it flew by for me. The Irishman on the other hand I found to be a bit of a drag.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It is available to rent/buy off the usual digital platforms I believe, including Apple, for anyone who doesn't wanna wait til streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭scrotist

Rubbish film. Turned it off after about 20 minutes.

I think people are afraid to say anything negative about Scorcese. Especially movie critics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭winstonia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

De niro has been in rubbish films for a while now, this movie is a turning point for him, it's streets ahead of there will be blood!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Easily the best film Martin Scorsese has made since 'Goodfellas' and also the best thing Di Niro's been in for many a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I really enjoyed it. I thought De Niro gave one of the best performances of his latter acting career, Di Caprio and Gladstone were both great. I'm not a die hard Scorcese fan, but this I enjoyed. I felt that some of the other films this year, started well then lost me a bit and I was bored. With KOTFM, after an initially slow start, I was intrigued, and it really held my attention. Incidentally, I (luckily) hadn't read any reviews, so genuinely was clueless before watching it.

I do hope it is recognised come award season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

This thread .Best this ,worst that lol 😂

I thought it was v good. I never lost interest

The tragedy and the greed and ruthless exploitation came across very well

I wouldn't be proclaiming it as better than the Irishman or anything like that

8/10

• Advertisement

I watched this yday, the 3.5hrs flew past. It’s very good, the 3 leads are great and acting overall is very good, I wouldn’t be surprised if the 3 win Oscar’s. But for me it’s not as good a contemporary western as there will be blood, no country for old men or the assassination of Jesse james. The story sort of just plods along, it’s not as well structured a film as those others, and the ending will leave a lot of viewers underwhelmed. Still a very good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ya well that's it debate like 😁

There will be blood was epic in a way

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Drops on Apple TV+ on January 12th.

With a budget of $200m it made $156m at the box office.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I had start to wonder when this was gonna appear. Pretty insane budget but then it is Scorsese, he's about the only one who could get away with that and not be expected to deliver a billion dollar return.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Between this and The Irishman he got a budget of around $400m to make two movies no other studios outside of streaming ones are giving him that kind of money to make movies.

Apple at least went with a lenghty cinema release to try and get some of there budget back. I think Netflix only gave The Irishman a very limited cinema release.

Dunno if there speaks to Scorsese being a bit insane with his demands, streamers being fools with their money, or just a said reflection on Hollywood that even he can't get a film made.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

As good as I thought the film was, I'm failing to see where the 200 mil went? That's a staggering amount of money for a film of its type.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Since it was primarily intended as a streaming release, the big names got upfront fees rather than box office takings. DiCaprio was somewhere around 30 million. DeNiro I'm assuming got similar if not more. So you're looking at at least a third of the budget for that alone. So probably makes sense overall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’ve been a bit baffled with Apple’s tactic of releasing the film on premium VOD before streaming. It’s been online for a few weeks now, before it appears on the streaming service it was produced for.

I know there was an agreement reached to give it an extended theatrical run, which is great! It did pretty damn well for a film of its ilk. But would’ve imagined Apple would’ve wanted it available on Apple TV+ before it was available to rent or buy on iTunes. Just an odd strategy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

Long, boring, stupid. Just avoid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Finally got to watch this yesterday.

Superb film. I didn't feel that it "dragged" at any point.

DeNiro's performance is mesmerising. His performance is up there with his best and he has some cv to look back on.

Does DiCaprio deserve to win the best actor Oscar?? I don’t think so. He is very good in this, as he always is. But his character is very much just a stooge to his uncle, it’s not a showey performance and not really awards grabbing. He will be nominated for sure, as will her for Best actor and De Niro for supporting actor, and those other 2 may well win. Leo performance is not as great or in your face such as DDL in there will be blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭winstonia

None of the male leads will get any Oscar's. Female might along with cinematography.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I've just turned it off about 90 mins in. Extremely boring and so so slow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Not great, could have cut it down to 2 hours and that would have been fine. 6/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Good movie,

Its very well made ,acting is top class, Didn't need to be as long as it was ,

People will say its boring but without out sounding condescending i think its for a more mature movie watcher,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

Total masterpiece. Did a double bill of this and 'Goodfellas' over the holiday and it was a brilliant experience.

The comeuppance the self righteous greedy goombahs get towards the second half of the film is a fantastic pay-off, on par with some of the greatest revenge films ever made.

"they got you turn't around?"

"Me turn't around'? Nah ... they ain't got me turn't around Blackie"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Absolutely fantastic and a real top tier entry in the twilight of Scorcese's career. Dunno what the complaints about runtime amount to, cos this was 3.5 hours that never dragged, given the screw was being constantly turned; even if nothing "new" was happening you felt a sense of a slowly boiling pot.

It was darkly funny that whatever else this was, it wasn't a conspiracy of geniuses; DeNiro's performance was fantastic as this smiling devil, full of charm and friendliness towards a people he was casually killing off like pets he was bored of. But neither he nor DiCaprio's Earnest were that smart either. It didn't take much for their schemes to be unravelled and revealed.

I'm not sure I read any sense of comeuppance though?

In the "podcast" at the end, it seems to suggest that neither Earnest nor "King" spent much time paying for their sins, while poor Molly died young.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

The fact that most of the thickos all get caught was the comeuppance enough for me! When the paid feds come in to the town and start picking them off one by one, for the first half of the film you get the impression that the grim killings will never stop and these criminals have total free reign to whack anybody they want.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I thought it was fantastic and tells the story of what happened brilliantly.

Advertisement