Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Things

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭winstonia

Better off not watching it. A phone is for phone calls

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Regardless of where you found the stream, if you watched this on a 5" phone screen you were doing yourself out of some of the things it does well, the visuals were great as seen on an actual cinema screen.

The story not being for you is down to personal taste, but I don't think most films are on their best footing when watched on a screen that small.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Whatever about the plot or one's taste for the story, the idea a movie this obviously visually inventive, or any movie really, would or should be watched on a smart phone is absurd.

It's like saying you prefer to listen to music through... I dunno, airline ear buds; or reading a book written in crayon.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭_H80_GHT

You must be old to list the thing that people use them for least these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,567 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Lol. I used to think like that. A phone these days do is a pocket computer. You can do anything on it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Still glad I did not see it in the Cinema. The only sex scenes I want to see are ones that I am involved in lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Ms

None for now but I will in the future all going well 😉

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You hated the movie cos it had sex? Uh, ok. If you're not Gen Z that's an even more baffling bit of prudishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,896 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Interestingly made film but strangely unengaging. Much too long as well. You should want to watch a visually brilliant film like this is again but I'd be hard pressed to press play tbh.

I'd argue too that Sandra Hüller in Anatomy of A Fall was more deserving of the gong than Stone. Haven't seen the other performances. A role with no boundaries or restraints (she could basically do anything and you had to go with it) in terms of making actions believable is easy work for any actor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

Yeah I got tired of this too, well around the one hour thirty mark. The visual style of this is very reminiscent of the Indigo Prime comic book series from the late 80's/early 90's that was published in the British comic 2000AD. Both historically set, yet stylishly futuristic, incorporating elements of sci fi. There was one collection set in the Victorian era about the Jack the Ripper that was very visually reminiscent of this. Also a lot of visual shades of Alan Moore's 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' work in this too.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

If you watched Poor Things on your phone, or any film for that matter, you did not see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Saw this (in the cinema for the snobs here) and really disliked it. The acting was obviously great, but the story did nothing for me and I just didn't see the point. It struck me as as movie that "film buffs" will love, but normies not so much.

I saw Lisa Frankenstein the other day and I enjoyed that way way way more than Poor Things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

watched on Disney plus over the weekend.. its visually distinct.. quite funny and an interesting plot. An incredible amount revolves around sex which is fine.. but there might have been more interesting experiences to explore as Bella's brain caught up with her body..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Loved this, visually beautiful, quirky and funny too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Watched this last night, excellent, so quirky and funny and inherently strange in a wonderful way

Kind of movie you don't need to see twice though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Certainly wouldn't watch again surprised me and my wife finished it, did watch half one night went back to it next night thinking maybe it gets better,it didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭brianc27

Watched tonight, thought it was pretty good, probably a bit too long, didn't know a whole lot about it before watching, visually it was like a cross between Wes Anderson and Terry Gilliam

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Great kind of theme/sets, lots of nice decisions there but I didn't really enjoy the film at all. You get what it's going to say immediately but there is two more hours of it. My girlfriend watched half of it and I wish I had too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭cena

2 hr and 16 mins I'll never get back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Damien360

Agree with you. I failed to see the point or the entertainment in the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Pretty similar to my reaction.

On the ending, I really wanted the reciprocal transplantation as well - Alfie's mind trapped in a goat's body, looking at his body eating the bushes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Hooked

I'm 45 and by no means a prude or averse to strange plots or sex scenes…

But, for the first time in my LIFE, I turned off a movie (30/40 mins in).

Having sex with the infant-powered body of a suicide victim, reincarnate…

Utter Tripe!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Strange reasoning to me as her partner had no idea of this and she did not have a juvenile body or appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Ah come on now a bit of harmless furious jumping never did anyone any damage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

What was the story with the 2nd girl.

Did Willem Defoe happen across a 2nd pregnant suicidal woman . Or is she just simple because her Brain was starved of oxygen when she died ,not because she has baby brain ?

Advertisement