Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaa membership

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 facebeard

Similar to OP, when under-8 membership was about €40 for a playing juvenile, Child is now U-11 and the Juvenile membership is €140, this outside of Dublin too. A non-playing adult would be about the same. Young lad didn't even get a bag of crisps at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There's a few clubs down the country in or around big population centres that would have those kind of numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

How does the fee compare with other sports and activities in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Re insurance-

Essentially you cannot sue you're own club. As coaching is going to be more physically active than a parent then it makes sense.

I've no issue paying my own membership but I think you're point is a fair one.

As suggested above, as a member you are entitled to attend the AGM and bring forward a motion. e.g. A minimum fee for membership set at the equivalent of one full adult and one juvenile member.

or Introduce a "Underage coach" membership role where if someone has completed Foundation Training and helped with 20 sessions throughout the previous year they can avail of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Very simple in our club - if you have any involvement in the club you must be a member and everyone pays membership fees from the top down. I coach a bit with the hurlers and camogie players and as they're separate clubs then their is separate membership. The kids do plenty of other activities and the membership fees work out as great value when you compare a lot of the other activities are 'pay as you go' and are usually €8 to €10 per session. I don't mind the membership fees as the club is well run ad the kids love it.

Someone mentioned funding from Croke Park - clubs get hardly any actual funding from Croke Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 luasaigh

A few things:

1. The club is a group of people, including you. Just attend the next AGM, propose a change, have a seconder arranged, and have it put to a vote.
    2. The situation in our club is the same - though we're a small rural club and our membership charges are much lower. All our volunteers, whether they are players, mentors, committee members, helping with the lotto, or cutting grass, or whatever - pay for the privilege! I'm the registrar and I do feel bad nagging them - but them's the rules that they decided on at AGMs and if they want to change them then they can propose a motion at the next AGM. Most of the people at the AGM would be those very people anyway 'cos 'tis hard to attend an AGM without coming home with a job for the year!
    3. Most clubs would have arrangements for cases where there's financial difficulty, and would take somebody at their word without question. In our club, another club member would sponsor the cost of membership, with anonymity in both directions and no record kept (OK I know who's who, but I forget). Other clubs would have other arrangements. I'm not saying this is your case, but it's important that this is known since this is being discussed publicly.

I know volunteering is a load of work, and its frustrating to seem like its not appreciated. But I think the way to look at it is that you're doing a good thing for your community, and that in itself is a reward that is great for your self-esteem and mental health and all that stuff. That said, there are times to step away too - sometimes it's just too much and you might have too much on - family is first. From my own experience, I'd say pretty soon your son might do better to have you on the sideline like another parent supporting him, rather than being a coach on his team. (you could be a coach on another team or volunteer to do something else in the club - no shortage of work to be done).

Main thing: thanks for what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

he cant vote at the agm... hes not a member...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 luasaigh

Oh of course yes, and can't propose a motion either. Then can hardly expect to engage in the democratic process to change things. But I suppose the options are to register one year, and propose the motion at the following AGM that people like him can register in future years for a nominal cost (of say €5). I don't think such a motion would pass in our club, but I'm sure there are some clubs that take that approach.

Advertisement