Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media FTTH... Any info

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Is the 1gb full fibre service still with a 50mb upload? Their site doesn't confirm the upload at all...if it's 100mb I may he tempted.

Also looking for wifi router suggestions. I currently have the ax92u but they only have 1gb Wan/lan port so won't be any use with the 2gb.

Is the provided router any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Maybe have a look at the Asus RT-AX88U Pro

https://www.asus.com/ie/networking-iot-servers/wifi-routers/asus-gaming-routers/rt-ax88u-pro/

Just picked one up last month to replace my older RT-AC88U

Everything running much more stable at home (I've tons of 24/7 connected devices that some had intermittent stability issues with over the last few years as I'd been adding & adding more devices - the older ac88u router was being over loaded). All rock solid with the new router thankfully.

The new AX88U Pro came out in March this year approx (note its the Pro - not the standard AX-88U Router).

Great user interface, supports a ton of options like native WAN VLAN tagging (which is typically required if you want to connect your own router hardware to FTTH ONT etc.). I'm considering upgrading to a 2Gbit FTTH connection in the coming weeks. I have a couple of ax capable devices & hard wired CAT 6A cabling in use.

I reckon even the non 2Gbit capable devices will be served better due to the speed,bandwidth & better upload (think its 200 Mbps up for the FTTH service I'm looking at).

The AX88U Pro has 2.5Gbit WAN / LAN port capability etc..

Hope my '2 cents' helps you..

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

Hoping as a business customer I can bypass the modem, but if I cant, business customers get them as modems, not routers with wifi, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LimerickGray

how did they bring the fibre into the house?

and box mounted outside I'm in Kilteragh and all the SIRO from VF and SKY etc are done terrible 0 wires all over the external walls and holes drilled in external walls to bring in cable - messy. in my house and all house here, virgin have a duct from the path under the lawn and into the living room with copper cable - presume originally for TV but they use is for BB now. Are virgin using this for fibre instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭dunworth1

same as all Siro down the front of the house and in trough the wall in the front.

its not virgin installing its TLI

• Advertisement

I’ll be cancelling the order then. Not having wires and a box outside my house when they already have a duct into my living room- live every house here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Just a heads up. High-end routers with multi 2.5G ports (or higher) aren't cheap but for some reason they seem to be well below MSRP in Germany right now!

Check this out:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AX88U-Extendable-Rangeboost-Subscription-free/dp/B0BV6ZN274 vs. https://www.amazon.de/-/en/RT-AX88U-AX6000-Router-Quad-Core-AiProtection/dp/B0BNYTFX9V

I ordered this bad boy just yesterday, saving well over €100 off MSRP, which is basically what's being charged on every web store in the UK, including Amazon and some here as well (the stores that don't gouge too much):

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B09MG9MDB5

Also, I think the PON Hub from VM has 1 x 10Gb port and 3 x 1Gb ports? I could be wrong, but this is what VM in the UK say about the Hub 5x:

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/existing-customer-deals/hub

Alas, I can't get fiber in my apartment, so I'm using the Hub 5 on the 1000/50 plan, hoping it'll go to 1000/100 soon like VM did in the UK recently.

Why thought? Cabinet is outside the end of my driveway and ducting going from my house to that cabinet with existing coax for TV/broadband, virgin. It’s actavo and they refuse to take out that cable and replace it with a fibre cable, even though it’s the same cos cable, and it’s going right into my sitting room

• Registered Users Posts: 14 eskin

I got a pre- terminated fibre cable from the guys installing cables along the house facia with intention of myself routing it behind wall insulation from external box on facia into attic and down to where the coax is terminated and modem is sitting. Checking if this fibre cable can be cut and existing termination replaced with whatever ONT termination they will be using for it - or if this will need to use preterminated cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

We had our cabinet at the end of our road updated a few months back and the lads doing the job and roadworks said it shouldn't be long until we're all connected up. Unfortunately i had a technician out changing my router last week and he told me that my road gets the cables overhead and not underground so I would have to wait until the 6 house between me and the cabinet upgraded before they could get an upgraded cable to my house. Does that sound right? Disappointing if true.

• Advertisement

Is there another termination box before the ONT?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Hope it's okay to ask this here. SIRO do not list Virgin Media as a supplier for my house. However, Virgin website says they can provide to my house although 110% they do not have their own cables to the house as this estate was never connected to the old multichannel (Cork memories!) line. So I assume that Virgin don't supply via open eir so this must be a Siro offering? So is it just that although Virgin have signed the deal to supply via Siro that they don't pop up as an option within the Siro website?

Thanks all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

You might be able to help me with some advice.

I currently have Virgin Media and the connection terminates with a coaxial cable with a power booster.

I'm in a new build and when I moved in earlier this year Virgin Media setup the coaxial cable with the power booster. The house already had fibre to the home.

I've just renewed by contract and they said they're sending someone out to upgrade my connection to full fiber.

My TV / modem is currently installed from a coaxial point that is not beisde my telephone point (it's in the same room).

Are they going to be able to run the fiber to the current coaxial termination point, or are they going to have to run a new cable from the telephone point?

Ideally I don't want any wires to be running around my skirting.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

Brother in law has VM fiber, has it about 3 months no issues. Was asking him if he's stuck with VM, he wasn't sure. Is it possible to move to another supplier with VM fiber? It's full fiber.

I know with Eir/SIRO they allow other ISPs. I know the old VM coax stuff, you had to stick with VM. But what about this new VM fiber stuff? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

This was Siro by the way. So they did a Siro install. So now have 2 fibre connections to the house - openeir fibre cable and the new Siro fibre cable.

Answering my own question really. I see SKY and VM have agreed a deal to allow SKY access VM fiber network from the 31/Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,187 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Anyone know what tech they will use? Sky or VM. Have always had patchy FTTC service from Sky via Eir. More frustrated as it got cutoff on Friday. Supposedly fixed yesterday but not actually fixed and now waiting to hang in the customer service line for hours. Would prefer the VM 500 or 1gb rather than 75mb. However, VM/UPC points not in ideal places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,848 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I'll be waiting a few months to switch to Sky anyway and let any issues be ironed out.

Any ideas who is doing the install for Sky on the VM network?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,187 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Looks like I didn’t carefully analyse the statements. The access is only to the fibre network whereas I have the old co-ax system. I suspect the same is true for many houses in central Dublin. As a result, Sky can’t sell me the service.

have had horrible experience and cancelled Sky. Engineer from OpenEir has been out to house 4 times today. Thinks there was some sort of surge. He has fixed cabinet end, pole end, reconnected he pole wire to internal cable and ch she’s the face plate. Sky modem cable equally shot. He now has full service based on his meter but no action in router.

now on with sky who are resisting sending out a new router even though I have to pay for the cancellation period! Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fayainz

Got my VM 2Gb Fibre installed end of May 2023 and was told my order was one of the first on their new offer. I’m in Kildare and it’s not on the SIRO network it’s Virgins own.

They had to drill through the wall and but this unsightly box on the inside of the hall. No idea why it has to be so big considering SIRO right next to it.

Anyhow speeds are pretty good. 700Mb down and 200Mb up from my iPhone

• Advertisement

@Fayainz - trying to identify how VM terminate the fibre cable in the house. Can you identify from that picture or could you post a closeup of where the fibre cable is coming through the wall and what type of device / box is it first connecting to ? Thanks.

Wowzer. My brother has the new VM fiber and the box is much smaller than that. About the size of the SIRO box but it looks like about half the depth (doesn't stick out as much).

Could they not use the SIRO box? Or do you have both going at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

They probably installed it using their own fibre rather than SIRO's. While they technically could use the SIRO box, it's more cost effective for them not to if their own network is available.

The fibre is just coiled inside this awfully large plastic housing, and then terminates directly into the Router sitting ontop of the white box. I’m going to put in a complaint to VM because the size is just rediculous for what it does.

Yup VM have their own Fibre network they do not operate on SIRO in my area. So my house was pre-wired with VM coax to the sitting room, but they don’t use those ducts they would only put it in the hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭rocketspocket

Virgin Technician just told me that he doesn't think that i will be-able to get fibre terminated into the attic as you need it flush against a wall due to not being allowed to route fibre cable through the house.

I didn't fully understand but what i picked up was that the cable needs to be stripped back to the fibre glass strand before entering the premises. fire hazard he thinks. Does this make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

I think external insulation is going to be the death of me with FTTH, especially in this old house with no ducts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Djcon

I'm in the same boat. stuck with Virgin Coax until they decide to cut it off. I wish they cpuld come up with some non DIY workaround that wouldn't make a hames of the insulation.

Advertisement