Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning to Buy house in Wolf Tone square, Old court - Please advice if it is good place to live

Options
  • 14-05-2023 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

As you all know that buying a house is a dream for most of us, I am planning to buy a house in Wolf tone square, Bray.

Location of the place - Google maps 53.190125, -6.108192

I am new to Ireland itself. I came to Ireland a year back for job opportunities and renting in Dublin, Co. Dublin is so expensive. These places are so expensive where even if I earn for another decade with my current salary, I can't afford the down payment for the mortgage loan.

Since my office is in Dublin city thinking of buying in Bray which is commutable to the city. I am not sure about the market price in Bray. So can someone please advice/suggest what is the price of houses in this area (Wolf tone square, Bray). I checked in daft.ie website and I can see the house price looks expensive. (For me 400k is also expensive. 😔).

In most of the forum they say to avoid area near Boghall Rd. And I see Wolf tone square is within Boghall Rd area.

Is Boghall Rd/Wolf tone square is considered as rough area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No Wolfe Tone is not at all a rough area. It's quiet enough.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Never know how to reply to these. We lived around the corner in Sugarloaf for years, never a problem. I can only say if you are a good neighbour then you will have good neighbours. Take the time to chat. It is a good location, near shops, schools and I reckon a 15/20 minute walk to the train. Houses are solid. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 grenadot

Thank you @Wally Runs @Annasopra

@Wally Runs - There are so many places in Board.ie itself I see in the discussions they mention Old court & Boghall Rd are not a good place.

So I am bit confused. Is Old court and Boghall Rd are same places?

Old Court is off boghall road.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Those forums you read that talk about "bad areas " are usually answered by ill-informed snobs that spout nonsense.

Sure I have seen posts on this forum dissing Bray and saying the whole town is rough. Total nonsense.

Boghall Road is a long road with loads of houses in estates like Scoott Park , Woodview, Bentley Park, Woodbrook Lawn, Wheatfield, Mountainview etc.

All fine and zero issues.

The ones that people may be referring to are Oldcourt Ave and Drive and Deer Park. They are council estates and full of decent people. If you're not living there then you'll barely be impacted by them.

Boghall Road is a good place to live. Now has 3 supermarkets on the road, Supervalu, Lidl and Aldi, as well as two other shops, Centra and Boghall Stores. Small shopping centre, schools etc.

I would have no issue in living in Wolfe Tone Square or Boghall Road, they're great locations. My only issue with Wolfe Tone is that I think they're overpriced for the type of houses they are but it would depend on the individual house.

I would advice you go have a look at the areas and walk around yourself rather than trust strangers on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Take a visit to the house. Go and talk to the people on either side of the house and see if it is the type of area you would like to live.

You might want to check your commuting time to the city centre though. You could get down to the DART fast enough on a bike but driving or the bus would take some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Do not buy a house in either of those areas. You are only missing Fassaroe and Deer Park in a list of places not to buy.

As someone else said already. Take a walk around the places you are looking at around 9 or 10pm on a nice night and see if you feel safe. Do this on a few different nights.

Sorry this is total rubbish. Nothing wrong with Boghall Road at all or Wolfe Tone Square.

Wolf Tone square is a dump, as is oldcourt. Thats where the OP is asking about. I never said anything about the Boghall road in general. Though there are another couple of areas along that road to avoid too. And there are some nice places along it.

Sorry but the OP asked about Boghall Road/Wolfe Tone Square and that's what you answered .

Even your post above calling Wolfe Tone Square a dump is really bad thing to say. I know plenty of people who have happily lived there for years without issue.

• Advertisement

Its a dump. Go have a walk around there at 10pm tonight and Oldcourt too. See how safe you feel.

And the title of the thread is "Planning to Buy house in Wolf Tone square, Old court - Please advice if it is good place to live"

And since we are using the word "Dump" :)

And a little aout oldcourt. A lot of fatal fires in those houses too over the years.

and this fella and his family grew up there. His family still live there and there are worse too

And lets not forget Patrick O'Brien, a monster who happily lived there for many years. I cant even bring myself to post a link to him.

Those two place dont have that many houses in them, and look at all the really bad criminals living in them.

In one 100 meter triangle in oldcourt you had Eugene Prunty, Bill Manley and Mick Boyle. You should look them up. Very famous criminals back in the day.

Thats what will be around you in Oldcourt and Wolf Tone square.

But sure lets all tell the OP that they are lovely areas to move to.

I've walked through Wolfe (with an "e" as it's named after a famous Irish person) plenty of times at night and never had an issue.

Calling it a dump is just wrong. You're basing it on nothing but the houses, which I would agree are not very nice but plenty of people live fine there and I would not judge it unsafe.

The clue about what he was asking is in the thread title.

Read the text of the OP and its says clearly

"Is Boghall Rd/Wolf tone square is considered as rough area?"

You quoted that post and answered it.

Extremely harsh and judgemental to call Wolfe Tone a dump and unsafe. It's fine to walk around at 10pm at night. There's a couple of houses and gardens in bad condition but overall the estate is fine and it's safe.

Terry Pratchet

The OP can do the same themselves. But when someone is going to lay out hundreds of thousands of euro to live in an area they dont know about its only fair to help them out by telling the truth. There is a reason they thought there was value in those two places. They obviously saw very cheap houses. But there are reasons those houses are cheaper than the norm and they are not good reasons.

Advertisement