Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Rolex DateJust 36

Options
  • 14-05-2023 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting DateJust 36mm (with green case).

I never bought a luxury watch before and wondering if there is a waiting list for Rolex watches in Ireland?

Also, are Keanes Jewellers good at it?

I would love to hear your views and experiences.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I currrently have a 2006 Datejust and had a 1975 one. My advice is to go second hand if you can. Good value to be had and no messing with ADs and waitlists etc.

I've never bought from Keane's but they've always been very helpful when looking at watches and trying them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks for this.

Could you recommend stores to check second hand options please?

What's ADs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Keane's are good to deal with, but from my experience you may be waiting 12/18 months for what you're looking for.

Best to pop in and have a chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Keane's are decent to deal with, the Cork store tends to have a wider range of watches available to try. That said, they are always happy to have stuff brought up to Limerick to try.

I know one of the ladies in Keane's Limerick and unless you're spending serious wedge on jewellery or other high margin stuff in there, it's a 12 to 18 month with currently.

Fulladapipes advice is IMO spot on. There is some decent value to be had on 2nd hand datejusts and without the ballache that goes along kowtowing to ADs.

Where to look, Chrono24, Watchfinder, Adverts and often the good local jewellers will have a 2nd hand range. Fields used to do it, I know Lunns and Paul Sheerans do too.

I appreciate your detailed guidance.

I really like this new DateJust 36 mm model. But I will search online on Chrono24 and Watchfinder. The only worrying aspect would be warranty issue and custom/VAT charges when ordering from online.

1. Do you know if used Rolex requires yearly service? If yes, how much does it cost?

2. Do ADs charge extra money on top of the listed price?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You're welcome, it's fairly broad advice but much of it is from experience or from others on this sub forum.

1. No, Rolex doesn't require a yearly service. I am far less experienced than some of our regulars and haven't owned a Rolex. That said, I would budget €800 for a service and as for the interval. Modern watch oils and lube stay viscous far longer than older stuff. I think current Rolex guidance is service interval is 10yrs.

2. Not on the RRP for purchase. I don't know if ADs pad their invoice on service costs. Any work done at Rolex Service Centre is usually returned with an itemised invoice so the scope for padding isn't huge.

Regarding VAT and customs. If you buy via Chrono24, from an EU based dealer. The price you see at checkout is the price you pay. No additional taxes due. Generally the warranty on Rolex is transferable, so if you buy a watch with warranty it carries over.

Similar with Watchfinder although any watches sold by Watchfinder, they manage warranty on as they are a Rolex Service Centre too. No additional VAT there either, what you see is what you pay.

That's really helpful.

Also good to know its about €800 service cost every 10 year or so.

Watchfinder has limited Rolex datejust collection. I will check Chrono24 now and select EU dealer.

Otherwise, I am near to Keanes in Limerick and might make an appointment. If there is an 18 months waiting period, are we expected to pay a deposit in the beginning? I feel its better to buy a brand new Rolex as its price usually goes up over time and it could be a potential investment. Correct me if I am wrong pls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭passatman86

For the price of a cheap return flight to Britain would you get better deals over there

• Advertisement

Any recommendations in UK? Or Northern Ireland?

Also, any tax implications while returning back to Ireland with a Rolex from Britain?

I pulled the trigger and got this beauty, datejust 41mm as custom special order. 12 to 18 months waiting time.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Hi masterboy, resurrecting your old thread beautiful watch ,How did you manage to skip any waiting list.Where did you purchase from and could you detail the process.

I got it from Keanes, Limerick. I have been attending them and had large sum of business done with them.

For DateJust you can expect 18 months wait time. And for Submariner I sent my expression of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭893bet

I would say very few waitlist for 36mm datejust these days unless you are particular.

Have you paid up front for this and are going to be waiting for 12-18 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

18 months for a DJ with "a large sum of Business" is honestly terrible. At least I find Keanes are honest with their time frame. Only 36 with a bit of a wait is the fluted mint green. It's funny how things are changing though. The return to sanity. The order of things becoming unpopular again in reverse order to the hype. Bimetals, including the new GMT, most really be slowly moving going by what I asked of them in Cork. As for the Skydweller, I don't think I've picked up such an unprompted hint of desperation from sales staff since the madness began building.

I note a Sub date just 500 over retail languishing on adverts. Also the retail of 10450 is **** bat **** crazy.

I have a 36mm Wimbledon on order in rose gold jubilee bracelet, Told to expect delivery in 2 to 4 months Weirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Surprised if it’s that long . Bi metal small datejust are not in demand .Only ever were during the hype because everything else went crazy .Undesirable model that uk watch dealers are selling at or below retail.

This is pre owned but considering the seller will be losing near a grand in fees it shows where the market is on them

Fair point,but the Datejust with the oyster bracelet cost roughly 11350 euros in 21,after Chrono commission it still leaves the dealer with a 1K profit.I know the 36 is not in demand but it's the size I want for my small wrist.Hopefully I will receive it sooner.

• Advertisement

Paid 5% of the total price only. The final price may vary depending on the market price at the time of collection.

Jesus that’s a new one .Paying 5% to be on the list ( if there is one ) and then having to wait 12 months . Madness , keep your dignity and go buy it on grey market and have it straight away.

I am fine with the wait and don't wish to use the grey market.

Irrelevant what the seller paid its retail is €13200 now and are selling under that .I paid €8800 for my sub date in 21 which are now selling for €11ish but that doesn’t mean they are currently selling €2k over retail.

Money / value aside , you are right though -pick the watch you want and enjoy it .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I was told 1k for the GMTs, which was “a hold, and different to the expression of interest list” with a July delivery. I’m guessing this maybe a bimetal policy, given their inability to shift them usually. All I could think of was how much under RRP they’d be by the summer. Full PM, but I see the “Cookie Monster” is trading 8 grand under already. I really like them apart from the polished centre links.

Attenbourough voice

”and here we see a male Rolex buyer trying diligently to get the female Rolex ADs attention, they spend and flirt and the female AD responds a little, she may suggest that she will be willing to bed them a few years after they have proven themselves, she may pretend certain watches are in demand, then they are not, oh wait, an Asian tourist approaches and wants to buy a bimental datejust, 4 in total for all the family…….her legs fall open and she is ravaged as the Male Rolex buyer watches helpless while clutching their Airking tightly”

Post edited by 893bet on

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I've had the same with a DJ 41.

It's different to going on 'The List" your essentially ordering the watch you want and it's guaranteed that you get it within a certain time frame. Pay the deposit and then pay the rest on collection, or pay it over the X months.

'The List" is a lot more vague, you might get a call between X and Y months and you could be offered something different.

• Advertisement

I did not think when i resurrected this thread that it would get this amount of traction. My expected wait of 2 to 4 months for my 36mm Datejust is in my opinion fair enough notwithstanding Scwarch points regarding bi metal and lack of demand for 36mm.Datejust was launched in 1945 and for over 50 years was only made in 36mm.This recent fad for huge dials holds no appeal for me.But as allready stated beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Advertisement