Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another naturalisation Thread.

Options
  • 10-05-2023 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

I am sitting here wading through websites and forms and thought maybe I could ask does anyone know a simpler way.

My buddy is called Kelly. He holds a british passport. He is in Ireland 23 years and working most of it. Current job for last 5 years. Verifiable work history. Apt lease for 8 years etc etc.

He wants an irish passport. He holds 2 birth certs, cert 1 says mother and father british. Birth cert 2 says pateral father is british. Father 2's grandad is Irish.

Im looking at the totting up points and filling out forms and gathering years upon years of records, is there a simpler way of doing this. Can you actually sit down with the department somewhere and see what they say?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

No, forms all the way. Department won't comment on individual applications. It's tedious but so it should be, Irish passports are very very precious and they need to be sure who they're giving them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Kelly can only get an Irish passport if he is an Irish citizen. He might be an Irish citizen through his grandparent/s. Did he have an Irish born grandparent?

The bit about the two birth certs is totally confusing. What do you mean two birth certs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Is he looking to trace citizenship through his (presumably Irish-born grandfather or is he looking to be naturalised as a citizen through his 23 years of residence here. Only in the latter case will residence and proof thereof matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This. You're either doing this on the basis of descent (registration as an Irish citizen), or on the basis of residence in Ireland (naturalisation as an irish citizen). There is no combination of descent-and-residence which will get you across the line; you have to consider the two separately.

Registration on the basis of descent is usually simpler and always cheaper, so that's the option to explore first. To explore this, start by getting Kelly to tell you (a) where each of his two parents was born, and (b) where each of his four parents was born. If the answer in no case is "Ireland" (either north or south) then it is very, very unlikely that he will be entitled to citizenship by descent. (There's a slim possibility that the fact of having one great-grandparent born in Ireland will be a basis for registering, but the odds are very much against it; it would depend on his parent having registered as a citizen before he was born, which it seems didn't happen.)

(It is irrelevant whether any or all of his parents or grandparents were British citizens. All that matters is whether any of them were Irish citizens and, of course, it is quite possible to be both, even without knowing it.)

So, if regisration on the basis of descent is not open to Kelly, then you turn to residence. On the rather sketchy information provided in the OP, the chances look good; the residence requirements are strict and not at all flexible, but there is a good chance that he can meet them. He needs to establish "reckonable residence" in Ireland for the year before he submits his application, and for a total of 4 years in the 8 years before he submits his application. The main issue will be establishing that he didn't leave the country for more than 6 weeks in any year during this period, as that disrupts reckonable residence.

It can be a pain to document that the residence conditions are met, especially for someone (like a UK national) who doesn't have passport stamps to indicate their comings and goings, but it can be done. There's a fairly hefty fee to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

His dad couldn't have kids so mum had an arrangement and hubby was named on birth cert 1. When hubby died, he was adopted by paternal dad but they are all British, hence birth cert 2. HIs great grandad can be traced as Irish, but not his parents or grandparents. I woulbe ideal If you could talk to someone and explain it but probably not.

He really would like to claim Irish citizenship, he is here years. I sat with him yesterday to help and it seems to be huge information gathering.

He rang aib and revenue this morning to start collating info, but I am hoping there is a human somewhere that can look at it and smooth the process.

He has revenue, bank records and an apartment lease going back maybe 8 years already so he can verify work, rent and bank, I'm just trying to make things simple if possible.

• Advertisement

Ok leave the grandparents out of it and simply apply for citizenship through naturalisation.

Here’s the form.

This form and only this form.

Read through the notes thoroughly first and then it won’t seem so complicated.

It’s over €1000 and there’s quite a wait time.

He’ll be able to apply for a passport once Citizenship is awarded, not before that.

As he already has a UK passport the Irish passport is of little extra benefit to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

except if he wants to travel and live in europe.

Travel and live in Europe with a UK passport?!! I’m currently living and travelling in Europe with my UK passport ( my Irish passport is expired). What are you talking about?

I'm sure you are. You don't have the same rights to reside there as Ann EU citizen.

I am both an Irish citizen and a British citizen. I’m travelling on my British passport at the moment and living with my brother in France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I'm the op. I'm a brit, but have just got an Irish passport as well. In Germany recently, I was an hour in a queue with every non-eu person while my wife waltzed past me laughing.

My daughter worked in Aya Napa in the bars. Some of her friends had to go back to the UK as their time was up. My daughter was fine as she's a dub.

There are benefits to the EU/Irish passport

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

But if you wish to settle in France, or work there, you'll find your Irish citizenship has a value that your UK citizenship lacks. Indeed, if you wish to stay with your brother even as a visitor for more than 90 days in any 180-day period, you'll be glad of your Irish passport.

If you were not an Irish citizen you would not be able to stay there for more than 90 days without applying for a visa. That is what I am talking about.

Advertisement