Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power of water butt pumps?

Options
  • 09-05-2023 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

We’re trying out soaker (drip) hose/timer/water butt pump combination to water our polytunnel.

A cheap Aldi butt pump isn’t powerful enough: without the resistance of the drip hose, it’s a great pump for the money. But the drip hose is too much for it. To illustrate, when you open the very end of the drip hose, the water flies out. Close it and the pump can’t push enough water through the drip hose itself.

Any recommendations for a water butt pump with a bit more ooomph?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

i

After ordering two lots of 4/7 advertised drip tube from Amazon, I was left in the lurch as they were both 4/6 and as the first popped off nearly all the connections, I still have the second wrongly advertised hose unopened. This was from two suppliers incidentally!

Anyway as a stopgap I used a cheap garden hose and with the irrigation fittings pushed into it or even just nail holes, the hose irrigates at very low pressures.

The system is superior to the 4/7 systems I have in use as the flow using a maximum of six to the tap supply tails off badly at the end. I made my securing clips by cutting 3mm galvanised fence wire to a length of around 40cm and with a radius in the middle to snugly form the bend in the "U" to go tightly around the pipe.

When my seaweed fertilizer is brewed, I will be filtering the "tea" and diluting it in a large dustbin. As long as there are no solids left, my 60W fountain pump will easily supply the hoses. Unfortunately the 4/7 systems will mean me using the watering can

Advertisement