Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Current Affairs Forum [mod warning in first post]

Options
  • 08-05-2023 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭

The main Current Affairs forum has become absolutely infested with American news stories and their current events. Well, at least with the stories one particular memer wants to post up, ad nauseum.

This is supposed to be an Irish forum. There are plenty, plenty of our own current events and issues to discuss. If people want to discuss America and American current affairs they should do it on a separate forum or headed forum already existing on the current one.

For one I'm sick of seeing divisive corporate American newsfeeds taking up an indigenous Irish forum and as a result I am following this place a lot less lately. I doubt I am the only one.

Mod warning:

This isn't about attacking any specific poster, or who starts the threads. It's about whether there's an argument for creating a sub-forum to accommodate US specific threads, and nothing else.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

no need imo there’s a forum for the USA already, I’m sure a sticky or something there would suffice. Besides that CA/IMHO doesn’t have to pertain to Ireland, if you don’t like the threads just don’t read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

I don't read the threads, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to enter the actual forum when 80% of the threads and their headings are American based current events.

Some guy getting choked on a subway train over in the USA. How does that pertain to anything? Especially in Ireland.

I went to the first page of CA and out of 30 threads 6 are US related

all 6 have the exact same OP (Overheal).

I just don’t see the argument here tbh

And how many of the six are in any way related to what's going on in Ireland? None.

You mightn't see any argument because you are a mod. You have to be here. Irish people like me don't have to be here and we are increasingly not doing so because of this non stop divisive American noise factory that has nothing to do with our own current events.

And that noise is incessant. And increasingly made to be divisive. So you all here loose even less traffic.

You'd want to start seeing the argument, lest you are just left with overheal posting his own blog up in here himself, from America, with just ye looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think plenty are able to not click a thread that doesn't interest them.

Theres a posse obsessed with reviewing every single post that OP makes which is making any threads disastorous.

• Advertisement

I’m a mod of AH. I don’t have to be anywhere either, I’m a volunteer mate.

As for the CA forum there’s plenty of Irish & world events discussed there. It’s what the forums for. There’s no rules about what is/isn’t posted (insofar as where it originated)

But that is making the whole forum disastorous because that particular OP is well aware they are importing that divisive American corporate sponsored noise and seems to relish in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Not if people stop clicking into and whining about the threads. They'd slip away from the front page.

But you are just going to basically attract an American audience to an Irish based forum if you continue to allow nonsense threads about some gadge getting strangled on a New York subway train.

That is not a current event. That's the New York subway.

So are you left with then? Basically a solely USA current affairs forum anyways.

And there's no need to condescendingly call me your mate, I'm not your mate.

Nah I don't think so, because I'd wager over half the people that OP is trying to bait up in his threads are also based in America. So they're all loving it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If a 'US News Megathread' was started in CA it would solve the issue, all in one place then and people can easily avoid it if they so wish.

As precedent..there's a long running thread on 'Harry and Meghan' which is a niche subject imo compared to the traffic an American news thread would get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

+1

Found this thread thanks to Spear.

A sub thread for current affairs and other US events would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,657 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Didn’t take long for this thread to lose the veil of being another attempt to single out an individual user.

This. If a select few posters with a clear agenda to grind against me personally just chose to ignore the threads they’d fall off the page and they’d have little to complain about; if the threads aren’t relevant to people they won’t post in it. Instead I witness threads bumped with “why do I have to read this etc” which is self destructive nonsense.

So is this a thread about creating a new forum or about bashing one user?

if so @Spear doesnt this belong in help desk root as it is not a forum request thread?

Hows that going to work lol

mass shootings lumped in with trans issues lumped in with abortion lumped in with Harry and Meghan?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

No need for a sub-thread.

As far as I can tell, the complaints are about one poster in particular. Just nip that in the bud and the problem will be solved.

Nip it how?

I know my very existence apparently winds you up based on your comments “Now as a Yank blow-in” etc and going on huge tears about the United States and “corporate media” but how exactly do you expect mods to “nip” me, I haven’t broken any rules? I haven’t even done anything extraordinary, I routinely post threads yet it’s newly a problem this week because this week was bumper to bumper with such incidents

This post of yours also adds credence to this not being a sincere forum request thread. @Spear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

The funny thing is, if there was a sub-forum, it would be interesting to see if those complaining about Overheal would stay away from it. I doubt it tbh.

For the sakes of an experiment, I give this a +1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Mod warning added to the first post. Stick to the subject at hand, which is whether a sub-forum is warranted or not, and it's not about attacking specific posters.

• Advertisement

There are many ways to nip it.

Warnings to stay on topic or for spamming new threads.

Threadbans if they stray from warnings.

Etc...*

I leave that up to the mods though, but this thread is a feedback thread, is it not? Or am I not allowed to even to that?

*I have not mentioned you as the person that needs nipping by the way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No, it's not a Feedback thread. Keep the more general comments to the Helpdesk thread instead.

So what is the purpose of this thread so?

It's under the Helpdesk & Feedback category.

Not looking for a fight, but looking for a clarification.

It's the Forum Requests forum. It's only for the discussion of whether the suggested forum has merit or not. There's other more specific rules about the use of -1 and +1 to approve/disapprove, that you can see in the forum charter.

+1

+1 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Since when has Boards been solely about Ireland only...

Seems to be more to this than whats on the surface.

• Advertisement

Yeah there is more than what seems to be on the surface. The USA's population on its own continent is currently at 336 million people. The politics, the history and Current affairs of that particular section of the planet where those people reside is a Hell of a lot different to the 5 million people that Ireland currently has on our section of the planet, a small island nearly 7000km away. But on the current affairs/imho forum you'd be stupid enough to think Ireland is wedged to Long Island and we are somehow ridiculously tied to it. We are not. Irelands problems are not the USA's problems. We don't have the same laws, the same constitution, the same history, or each others cultural baggage, so they should be separate. I'm not saying never discuss America, discuss it all you want in its own forum, just like it has its own continent. What's the problem?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement