Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ads? When did this start?

Options
  • 04-05-2023 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Suddenly getting pop up ads on mobile every few times I am browsing to a new area of the site.

Anyone else getting this?

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

Yeah it’s fair annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Same ad all the time for me. Change it up a little!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,101 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No, there shouldn't be any pop-up ads. There's been other reports in feedback of a few of these recently. Report them in the dodgy ads thread:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2056855938/inappropriate-ads-post-links-here#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Mike has addressed this in the "Changes to advertising on the site" thread in Announcements, it's the result of a "fix" the ad company put in place to stop ads appearing directly under the Post Comment button.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,101 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

He's also posted in the feedback thread to confirm that this is a screw up by the ads company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Lads jaysus, ads for done deal all over the site today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭SteM

Taking up a third of the phone screen every time you change page. This site going to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Bit of a death rattle feel about it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

This is my phone screen right now,what has this site come 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Antipathetic

No sure what is worse the fact that the ad takes up so much of my screen or the fact I have no idea what it is even for.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 11,664 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The site has become unusable on mobile for me. Between the ads, and all the stuff that's broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I use a laptop for viewing and see no adds but opera browser has its own ad blocker installed , i wonder why.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’m not having any of these issues on the mobile site, is it only causing problems for android users?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

You can't even close the ad. It's permanently there on the bottom third of my screen so you can't avoid bit clicking into it.

GREAT JOB

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Antipathetic

The adds also lead to scammy website, this is not a good look for the site unless of course you are ok with this?

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

To block the ads use https://nextdns.io/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,664 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Thanks

My Ad Blocker app works as a remedy, but one has to be conscious to turn it off when trying to use APIs on websites, eg trying to pay something etc

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Very Very Annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes. Very annoying .

I can't see to type a comment with ads popping up all over the place.

Have to go back and edit every single post .

Some guy holding a passport covering the page and when you reduce it covers the bottom half and you end up at the end of the thread having lost whatever you were reading or writing .

It's on my mobile ( android ) . Unusable at this stage

Just switched to desktop and withdrew consent for ads which will work until the next time I log in . Every time 🙄

It's tedious .

Why is this allowed ? The site is more useless now than it was after the initial changeover !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Headmelting.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

😡😡😡😡😡

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Lads......

Advertisement