Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[RESOLVED] I received a warning for "misgendering" a transgender

Options
  • 03-05-2023 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,081 ✭✭✭✭

I received a warning yesterday for "misgendering" a a transgender woman. I posted in this thread.

It was a top story on the BBC website.

I'm posting the above image, as it's the only means I have of showing what was on the site.

I posted the link and said "He must be very proud." My post was later deleted and numerous people who quoted me were deleted as well, none of whom had a problem with what I wrote.

I got a very detailed response from the mod which I will post in full below.

Trolling

😉 I asked how my post was an offence? They said not to deliberately misgender someone. Sorry, but he's not a woman. So it would be wrong to call him she. It's basic biology.

It's a farce what is happening in WOMEN'S sport. And a new story on BBC today.

British Cycling considering banning transgender women from elite female competition

I feel the warning was unwarranted and I would like it rescinded please.

Post edited by Mickeroo on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hi Sligeach

I can look into this for you.

The first part of the DRP process is that you engage with the moderator to discuss the issue to try to come to a resolution. Please confirm you have done this and post the conversation here. Please remember all moderators are volunteers who give up their spare time for the betterment of the site so if you could be polite in your interactions that would be great.

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Only the OP, the mod in question, cmods and admins can post in DRP. Other posters cannot contribute to this thread. Post deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,081 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Hi. Yes, I tried discussing it with them. I told them I would be appealing, they said go ahead and that they wouldn't be overturning the warning. I sent another message but they didn't respond.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Please post the conversation here

Are you sure I'm allowed to? Quoting a site administrator who told me this before.

"It's against the site rules to post PM contents without the permission of the sender."

Not exactly verbatim, as they've thrown wobblies about this sort of thing.

• Advertisement

Yes

As requested.

I do not see where you tried to discuss it with the mod. What I see is you talk about biology and then ranting at the moderator and criticising them.

Step 1 of the DRP process is to discuss with the mod (politely) to see if a resolution can be reached.

Please re-engage.

I messaged Ten of Swords last night and haven't had a reply, it's currently 8:45pm. Now Beasty, Boards.ie's very own monarchist who shuts down any dissenting voice on an Irish website criticizing said monarchy has stepped in. And has removed another post I made since in the same thread. I would like to post their message to me and I would like if some mod here could post the "offending" removed comment in full if possible please.

Same offence, "deliberately misgendering" and ignoring the prior warning. I specifically wrote "them"(even wrote in brackets that I was avoiding offence) when referring to the individual. I was replying to a person who was wondering where their comment had gone as they had quoted me and told them what happened. That I received a warning for writing "He" and I was appealing.

I have told Beasty before they are not suitable to mod this site. They are biased and unfair. I opened an appeal process against them before only for them to come along and shut it down.

When I am done with this situation, I will be opening another dispute(now that I have been given permission to post PM's as above) against them where they wrongfully deleted my post and gave me a warning. It's a home run, they wouldn't admit that they were wrong. They came charging into a thread and accused me of posting a PM from them without their permission. I didn't, I had quoted them from a thread where they said there's no such thing as free speech on this site. Wouldn't apologize or rescind the warning.

I don't have a problem with this site's modding in general, but I do with Ten of Swords and especially with Beasty. They seem to be a bit of a double act. It seems Beasty is free to do whatever they like here. Is there anyone above them?

I have tried to engage with Ten of Swords, they haven't responded. I now have a Level 3 warning against me and am thread banned, thanks to Beasty, for something that isn't an offence. Calling someone who was born a man, "He" and competing in women's sports is not a crime. To call them "she" would be deliberately misgendering them and inferring(can't think of the exact word right now) that their inclusion with women is OK. They're not women.

This is not a place for ranting. If you cannot engage respectfully without having a hissy fit then I have no interest in engaging with you. Your latest infraction is outside the scope of this DRP so I don't need to hear about it.

TOS will respond to you when they get time. They are a volunteer after all. If your pms are anything like the post above or your previous pms then this DRP will stop now.

Also I gave permission for you to post pms in this thread. This is a once off permission and does not apply elsewhere.

TBH this seems like an issue that you are not able to discuss without getting wound up so it might be better not to engage in these discussions in future. Equally CA is a forum that is primarily modded by Beasty and TOS. Given that you seem to have an issue with both it might be better not to post there. Just a suggestion - not a prohibition.

• Advertisement

Can someone please post my 2 offending comments here please? I want people and other mods to be able to see what I wrote. I haven't committed any offence. I haven't seen other site mods come in to tell me what I wrote was wrong for writing "He". Why should I have to stay out of a forum just because a couple of mods abuse their position? I haven't received answers to my questions either, like who is above Beasty?

This is going to come to its inevitable conclusion isn't it, as I posted above? Mods stick together, nobody will stick their neck out. Case going nowhere, yadda yadda, case closed. And the powers that be just carry on with impunity. This isn't "ranting" or "having a hissy fit". I would just like some justice please.

I am done here.

Upheld for failing to engage in DRP process

I am also upgrading your infraction to a threadban as you do not seem to be able to engage on the topic in a civil fashion so do not post in the thread again

• Administrators Posts: 13,772 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

OP hasn't replied in over 3 months. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement