Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insects in general.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I don't think pheasants have much of an affect to wildlife in this country. For the most part, their numbers are way down. Fox rely more so on rabbits, than anything else, and even rabbit numbers have plummeted.

The biggest thing that is affecting wildlife, be it animal, bird, or insect, is the loss of suitable habitat. The EU, and the Irish Government promoted the use of every inch of land for production of either animals or crops, leaving nothing for wildlife. In recent years they are trying to reverse that trendnsomewhat, but the damage is done. A few feet of untouched grass verges, doesn't cut the mustard though, does it.

When I was a young lad, there was so much more predators, and plenty of everything else as well, including game birds, and native wildlife. There was so many orchards in the towns, never mind the countryside. Bring back the habitat, and the animals, and insects will return.

I won't hold my breath though. The government ain't loosing a wink of sleep over it.

Advertisement