Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ELM MOUNT Beaumont

Options
  • 02-05-2023 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hello

Looking at buying a home in Elm Mount. Minor concern about the noise level as they're semi detached.

Current Neighbor we can hear the TV..clearly. It has made us anxious about adjoining walls. However most Dublin semi detached houses are attached in this way! Detached properties are scarce.

Anyone live in these houses? I'd love to hear your opinion. Do you hear the TVs, conversations etc from adjoining neighbors in Elm Mount?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I never lived in those houses but from my limited experience (I know people who were raised there) they are solid built houses in a mature area. I never heard issues in relation to noise coming from neighbours.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DFB-D

Generally older houses are built with concrete walls and a chimney block in between houses.

You probably won't hear a TV at reasonable volume, or very faintly, but you might hear impact noises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭DubCount

Those houses were built in the 1950s I think. The materials were more bricks and concrete back then - no stud partitian walls etc.. You might hear a loud noise, but you wont be hearing conversations, normal level TV, or lights switching on etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

They certainly weren't built in the 50s but the late 70s and early 80s depending on which road. They are relatively well built but poorly insulated and the original windows are mostly replaced and you need double glazing due to the planes overhead. Upgrading insulation is advisable. Neighbour noise is uncommon but the shared drive seems to be an issue with some.

Overall a quite area and well serviced the airplane noise is something you get used to and not that bad and only an issue sometimes during the year. Depending on the road you may get rat run traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I lived in Elm Mount Rise for a year when I was in college. You could definitely here everything next door. But you just get used to it. Its the sounds of living.

In fact ive never been in a semi or terraced house where you can hear TVs, people talking and toilets flushing next door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭uponthegad

Very solidly built in the early 60s, some roads possibly a few years earlier or later. Cold in their original state but with good insulation, modern windows and good air tightness are perfect. Unusual to hear noise next door, maybe if the neighbour still have the bare original timber floors and no carpets but it's certainly not an issue and you generally wouldn't hear a TV on, it would have to be blaring. Age demographic in the area is changing quickly and there have been lots of young families moving in over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cybersheepz

some original parts of the estate were built in 1957 (the road and avenue). You can identify the older parts by the electricity wires above head. The newer parts of the estate (1970s) have below ground electrical wires. The older parts of the estate have really long gardens. The houses are solidly built, I bought in 2019. New windows, insulation, plumbing and electrics bring these houses up into comfortable modern day.

you won’t hear conversation or tv next door but you will hear a guitar being played.

the shared driveway is a pain - if you have an agreeable neighbour (we did) you can build a dividing wall (subject to pp and written legal agreement) and then have a nice big driveway. Some roads are busier than others (the avenue and road)

Advertisement