Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAMPER CONVERSION VRT - VAN TAX ARREARS

Options
  • 01-05-2023 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys,

I am about to convert my volkswagen transporter van over to a camper on the log book. Its all ready to go but I owe over a year in Van tax, does anyone know if this is wiped once you convert over or does this follow you? So ill have to pay the arrears before I put tax on the camper?

Does anyone have any experience of this? Any help much appreciated in advance.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭j0ey2069

I could be wrong, but I think unless you declared it off the road you're still liable for the arears.

Imho selling it to a spouse/partner and back with change of ownership would best way forward. Then tax it fresh as camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MizzBiz

When I did this I went to the tax office and I was told to put the vehicle into someone else's name to remove the tax debt. This was in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

What did you do in this case? I'm in similar situation with a van that's been off the road 2 years and converted but I never remembered to declared it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sell it to a family member or friend for €1, then buy it back from them when they get the new registration document.

Any new owner is not responsible for any arrears that the previous owner may have owed.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement