Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent upgrade to telecom pole but what is it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

The 30mbps requirement is changing, so that argument won't hold soon:

It's going to be 100mbps minimum from 2025 and 1000mbps minimum by 2030 for everyone in Europe.

I know that doesn't help you in 2023, but have hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭grimeire

ill believe it when i see it. I have been told similar since 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

My parents in law were consistently told they couldnt get internet quicker than utterly cr@p DSL running at 3mbps, and in practice you'd do well to even get that. No update on when it would be available or anything.

We went down to visit them and barely 20m from their house there was a fibre junction box (or whatever the terminology is) on the same pole as where their telephone cable came from.

The week after they rang up and explained that they can SEE the junction box barely a spiting distance from their house and in no time they were connected up.

And, its not really a glitch in the website or software, its a glitch in the entire irish postcode system that was designed as a per property heap of dung, not an area code and drill down like in the UK, or even germany or USA which is more the size of a townland per unique code.

I don't know who's their provider but it sounds like a miracle to me.

The postcode system over here is not to blame it's the whole pass the buck mentally they have. You can see pretty easily the neighbor can get it. The person from Eir I was talking to lives less than 1KM from my house and said they have the same issue. They don't seem to give 2 s**ts about the customer. If the ISPs/distributors had any brains in their heads they would see that spending €200 to run fibre from the pole to my place would be made back in a few months. Instead they hide behind that half the house is in blue and the other half is in the green.

Just got a great email from opener saying I can get fiber now. I'm green now along with everyone in a 1km radius on openeir map.

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone.

Seems Vodafone see I can get 2000Mbps but switcher and some other sites still think I cannot get it.

Is there a thread that compares the different provides such as support, actual speeds, equipment and extras like mobile here that I am missing? What happens with the equipment after the 12 month contract am i am to keep it or have to return it. I assume the equipment is different for all providers but does the equipment change depending on the plan for each provider.

Got three mobiles in the house so could switch them too along with broadband.

Looking towards Vodafone 2000Mbs as I have a number of servers at home that need decent upload/download but it's costly at 65 per month plus not sure what the equipment is like. There is a decent Vodafone deal on big switch which is appealing.

Sky doing 500Mb for €30 which is the best I can see but there equipment from what I can find is not great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Great news, enjoy.

No specific thread on the different providers.

Post edited by The Cush on

The equipment you can swap out yourself unless you plan to use Vodafone TV. If you're only using the internet, then you can use any router that allows setting the VLAN ID for your connection (the VAST majority of routers do this). There's plenty of threads here in boards showing how to configure 3rd party routers for connections. Vodafones gear looks pretty good TBH. To benefit from internal 2gb speeds, you'll need to purchase their SFP in to use with their Gigabox+ device

https://n.vodafone.ie/content/dam/gowingmyself/pdfs/GigaboxPlus-Quick-Start-Guide.pdf

The SFP is here:

Thanks that was just what I was looking for on the router. Seems nuts to me that it only has 1 x 10Gb port and that's used for connection to ONT unless you buy the sfp adapter. Might not be possible with that router but many allow you to do link aggregation so you could turn the 4 * 1Gb ports into 1 * 4Gb port.

I use a virtualized of pfsense at the moment so probably could just use that as my router

What are the connections/ports available on the ONT. I assume it's one 10 Gb Ethernet and I don't really need to worry about the length of this cable when it comes to speed loss as long as it's within Ethernet cable 10Gb distance limit.

Post edited by grimeire on

I'm with NBI, so I can't speak for Siro/OpenEir, but usually it's a single optical terminal and a single 10GbE connection. Yeah, just invest in some some Cat 6a cable if possible, otherwise regular CAT6 should probably do for a domestic cable run

Whereas Category 6 cable has a reduced maximum length of 55 metres (180 ft) when used for 10GBASE-T, Category 6A cable is characterized to 500 MHz and has improved alien crosstalk characteristics, allowing 10GBASE-T to be run for the same 100-metre (330 ft) maximum distance as previous Ethernet variants.

Wikipedia ^

Interesting that yours has both Ethernet and optical.

Are both the connections actually wired to the fiber coming in or is only one?

• Advertisement

Placed the order with vodafone yesterday and booked in for fitting next week which is far earlier than expected. Put a duct into the attic and ran the old telecoms cable from the Fiber DP through the duct into the attic so hopefully there will be no issues when they come to install and its a single visit.

Quick question about the Fiber DP. I assume each one can only connect so many houses to it and i assume the DP have like a sinlge or multiple fiber 40Gbps connection to exchange and then that is broken down to multiple 1Gps/2Gps per individual house?

If thats not the case then on average what is the average connection to these DP and is there a max number of homes that can be connect per DP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

theyll be either 4/8/12/16 ports in dp going back to exchange where back end eqiupment will give the speed. so if your getting a gb that will come direct from exchange through cable to gpon and modem after that speed will depend on devices.

thank you.

I assume they can upgrade these with more ports if needed bu running more fiber to the DP.

Also i assume the fiber they run to the home will be faster than the package you get. I ordered 1Gps but i will be upgrading this as soon as i get the Ok from work to pay for it. Vodafone wont take credit card for payment which means i have to use IBAN and it makes getting work to pay for requires additional approval. My worry here is if i get 1Gps now and upgrade in a months time to 2Gps do they have to come out again and run a higher speed cable.

Been a long time since i messed with fiber but there was only 1Gps, 10Gps and 40Gps cables when i did and dont think anything has changed, so I assume they are going to use 10Gps multimode cable to my home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

doubtful but would depend where dp loctaed. if theres spare strands inside dp that can be used to add more. but that might be only in the case where theres only 4 ports in dp most likely being in a very rural area with maybe a house or two at the time of dp being installed.

if you ordered a gig then thats what youll get.

from your home its just a single core fibre cable

Plenty of fibre in the trunk cable anyway. Iirc when open-eir were rolling out their 300k rural fibre around here the trunk fibre cable contained 3 tubes of 12 fibres each.

I think now most fibre is 10 Gbps symmetric, XGS-PON . Originally it was 2.4 / 1.2 Gbps asymmetric GPON. If the 2 Gbps profile is available to you the the trunk fibre lines are XGS-PON enabled.

With a split ratio of 1:32 per fibre there's plenty of capacity.

Their using XGS-PON for most of the networks now (OpenEirs early rural fibre deployment was GPON).

XGS-PON will go up to 10gbps on the same fibre.

25-GPON is on the way for the same fibre (not on NBIs roadmap for probably 10+ years though).

So don't worry about the fibre. It'll be the same stuff for a long time, no new cables requirement. They'll upgrade the exchange equipment and the box in your house a good few times before the fibre out-of-date (decades away)

Peter Hendrick of NBI said a few years ago their Nokia equipment was software upgradeable to 25G PON, so might appear sooner.

The exchange equipment is software upgradeable to 25G:

https://www.lightreading.com/opticalip/fttx/nokia-networks-boss-defends-bet-on-25g-pon/d/d-id/770670

, but the CPE is not using the same hardware, and is also limited by the 10GbE port. Given the lack of ISPs offering the 2gbps product today, and the investment in the existing CPE, I really doubt (but happy to be wrong) that they'll be offering anything above 10gbps for 10+ years. But lets see.....it will depend heavily on what the competitors in the market offer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

Not wishing to rain on your parade but be prepared for your installation to fail if there is heavy tree growth on the route the cable will take from the pole to your premises. From the images you have posted it seems this may be an issue. It may be your responsibility to have them cut depending on whose land they sit on.

In relation to capacity, you will be sharing 10Gb/s up and down with up to 63 other premises.

• Advertisement

I would think the same. One row of tress is public and the other belongs to my neighbor.

Problem i see here is trees are at least 20 ft+ above top of fiber pole and I dont see them cutting that much off the trees as it will kill them. Plus i dont think my neighbor will allow me to cut that off his trees and i dont blame him. He told me i can trim them down no problem.

Anyway Ill find out more next week when they come to fit. That a problem i will need to face when it come to it.

Wait what? Isn't fibre meant to be un-contended? Sharing 10gbps up and down with 63 other premises? Where's this all coming from?

None of the networks are un-contended. When you hear of the split ratio mentioned above, that is what it means. The urban Openeir IFN network has a 1:64 split ratio so one bi-directional 10Gb/s OLT port is split among 64 premises. NBI use a 1:32 split so 10Gb/s among up to 32, the older Openeir rural network is also 1:32 but it is GPON so it is 2.48/1.24Gb/s split among 32, which is why they can't sell the 2Gb/s product on that network.

In reality it is probably unlikely that there are actually 64 premises connected as that would require 100% take up of FTTH products in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 William_Flynn

The un-contended is in their marketing, however if you look at the technical documentation on openeir's website it is clear that it is split 1:32 or 1:64 depending on if it was the original rural install or the newer urban installations.

Totally misleading advertising.

Wouldn't the SLA mandate a specific upstream port speed configuration? If the split ratio is 1:32 and the SLA specifies 500mbps min. then surely the port would be configured to 32x500mbps (assuming all 32 DP ports are used)

So in the case, the exchange ports would be configured to 16gbps to guarantee all customers (regardless of package) the 500mbps at all times.

From my experience in networking the chances of everyone utilizing the 500Mb they have concurrently is slim to none.

I deal with switches and IDSs alot and number 1 query i am asked is your IDS only does 5GPs or whatever and our switches are 10Gps so it wont cover us but in practice those switches rarely ever hit the maximum bandwidth with 50+ users/servers connected so it would be the same here.

The exchange port is an XGS-PON port. Its limit is 10Gb/s, there is no possibility of increasing its capacity. To have an uncontended 500Mb/s you either lower the split ratio, which involves major re-cabling works, or you move to 25G PON where 25Gb/s is shared over the given split ratio. Both options have costs involved.

I would not get hung up on this, the wholesale networks in partnership with their technology partners, Huawei and Nokia, are obviously happy that the networks will work as designed.

Yeah, sorry for pedantic. More curious than anything else. Appreciate the info!

I didn't think you were being pedantic! It is interesting to hear the eir gigabit advert talk about "no more sharing with the neighbours".

• Advertisement

You were bang on here. they came to install today and wouldnt due to the trees. I ran the old copper cable into the house with ducting the other day hoping that he would just connect to the end of that and pull it through but the guy didnt want to touch it and said he is not allowed to run it when trees are in the way. I have a feeling no matter the case this guy would not do anything. He said it was his last job of the day and sounded like he scoped the place ouut before calling as he seemed to know the house well when he rang before visiting.

Only options i have from what the guy said is

1. ducting from my house to pole which goes through 2 boundary walls one being mine and through my neighbors driveway.
    2. cut down tress. One row of trees is public and other is neighbors. Guy said both would have to be cut down to run cable which is not going to happen since 1 row of trees give me privacy from my neighbor and the other row give neighbor privacy from people walking on the path.

Also guys said that 12 homes can be connected to each Fiber Distribution point.

Thanks for the help all at least i can say I tired everything.

Post edited by grimeire on

Advertisement