Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cow field smells

Options
  • 29-04-2023 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi there,

We are considering buying a house that borders dairy cattle grazing fields on three sides. The boundaries are as close as 10m from the house at its closest.

There are no sheds near, just hay holders and troughs and they're about 50m away.

Smell-wise (and I mean above and beyond what one would reasonably expect in the country), do you think it would be quite strong? We lived beside sheep farming before but never cattle/cows so it's all a bit new and I don't know what to expect. Sorry if this is a very silly question! I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Expect some applications of slurry throughout the year, but not regularly as the ground couldn't stick it. What are the fences like and do you know anything of the farmer him/herself? Good boundaries between the property and the land? Possibly a bit of noise for an evening in summer if they are taking silage off it.

As it is a dairy farm you might find that they are (or have to) apply the slurry with a system for Low Emission Surry Spreading (LESS). This means you will notice even less of an odour than from traditional spreading - won't be nil, but will be a step change. The dairy farmers would probably be more on the ball in regards to spreading at times to make most use of the slurry - and that will be to your advantage.

If you can find out what type of an operator the farmer is it will be more useful to you than smells in the field - smells are temporary, neighbour's are permanent. Just don't be expecting to tell them not so spread as you're having brunch on the patio!

From the actual cows - dairy cows are normally quite placid animals are they are very well used to human interaction. They will do their own thing and not bother you. There should be no noticeable smells from them whilst they go about the fields eating the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭odonopenmic

Thanks so much for your reply. This is really helpful and i appreciate you taking the time to respond. I never got the notification so I'm only seeing it now, just in case I came off like a gowl ignoring you! Sorry about that

Advertisement