Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV Camera WiFi Signal

Options
  • 27-04-2023 5:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I have a Yeskamo CCTV system comprising NVR and 4 WiFi cameras. The two further from the modem have a bad WiFi signal and drop in and out all the time. My house is big and has WiFi signal issues in areas further from the modem. I cured this by putting a couple of TP-LINKS powerline adaptors with integrated WiFi extenders. Now this gives me a full signal with 5 bars on my phone and tablet throughout the property. Problem is, on all cameras and in particular, two have a bad signal. I use a signal meter to monitor this. Standing in the room where the modem and NVR are, I get a full signal from both modem and NVR. The NVR, as it should is connected to the modem with an ethernet cable. My question is.....if I am getting a full signal on my phone's, then why not the cameras. It looks as if they are getting their signal from the NVR and not the modem. How can I switch from NVR to modem and get full signal to both cameras and phones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

If they are Wi-Fi cameras they get the signal from the Wi-Fi, not the NVR.

Have you tried a booster closer to the camera to improve the signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭saorviewseeker

Many thanks for your reply. Yes, I have 3 boosters around the property and one close to the two with the low signal. Picture this in the hope you may find a solution to the problem.

I have a camera above the backdoor of the house which is giving one bar on the WiFi symbol on the TV. To try and trouble shoot this, I placed my phone and a WiFi signal meter side by side on the worktop inside of back door. Camera is about 12 feet away above door and outside. I checked the signal on both phone and WiFi signal meter without booster. These are the results.

Phone signal: 3 bars

Meter: Same

TV: 1 bar

With booster on:

Phone: Full signal

Meter: Full Signal

TV: 1 bar.

That suggests to me that phone and meter are picking up WiFi but for some reason the camera above the door remains the same, giving me the impression that it's picking up the signal from the NVR which is some distance away. As with the boosters, which when paired with the modem, they change their SSID and password, giving seamless connection throught the property. That in mind, I tried to manually change the SSID to match modem and boosters but theirs no option on the NVR to achieve this. Hope this makes sense. And just to confirm modem and NVR are connected by an ethernet cable.

Are they definitely connected on the booster and not the modem?

I would take the camera down and connect closer to rule out the issue with the signal as if the ones close have 3 bars then it has to be a signal issue.

Are they picking up the 2.4 or the 5, are the phone and meter on the same, 2.4 or 5?

Yes both are on 2.4 and rise to a full signal when booster is switched on but the cameras signal remains the same with one bar showing. The camera is close anyway above the back door and about 12 feet from the booster placed on the worktop inside back door. You would have to imagine when the booster was switched on raising the signal on phone and meter that it have at least shown some improvement on the camera but there was none which is why I'm thinking it'd taking its signal from the NVR. Anyway, many thanks again for your valued comments.

Its still connected to the router Id think also.

Can you turn this off and see if it will connect to the booster with no internet connection?

• Advertisement

Don't have a router. My modem is a combo, router and modem so if I turn off there everything is switched off. I looked at the NVR properties to see if I could turn off it's WiFi but found no way of doing so. I found another way..... disconnected both antennas. The results confirmed that cameras are taking their signal from the NVR because I lost all with antennas disconnected. Question still remains.......how do I get these to connect to WiFi?

I have actually tried the cameras repeater function using a camera with 3 bars as the source connected to one with 2 bar without success. Just noted this evening. The modem/router which is a Fritz make has no WAN socket. It has 4 ports and one of those is connected to the broadband dish. Could this be the problem, I wonder. I'll contact the ISP on Tuesday and put it to them.

Photo of rear of modem.

Port 1. Feed from Broadband Dish.

Port 2. Feed to DVR

Port 3. Feed to Phonewatch

Port 4. Feed to NVR.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

Get a mesh WiFi system instead of those powerline boosters, and stick the mesh WiFi boosters onto the ceiling if possible

• Advertisement

If the system itself is creating its own network for these cameras from the NVR then you may need the extender they use which I linked to above.

If this is the case, it explains why the booster for your own network is having no effect on the signal at the camera.

If you contact the support they have they might point you in the right direction.

I now know that's the case having manually configured an old Huawei 320 repeater to see would it cure the problem and it did, increasing the signal sufficiently to cure the disconnecting issue.

I did contact Yeskamo tech support on two occasions and they didn't bother to reply, which is why I turned to boards.ie for answers and as they have done in the past, people like your goodself responded and helped me resolve the issues at the time, so hats off to this wonderful forum. Furthermore, I placed an order for two spare parts for one of my cameras, see attached photo, and I was told they didn't supply these parts. I protested saying this was very poor aftersales service if the couldn't provide spare parts. They came back and said they would make enquiries with the factory and followed that saying they had sourced these and asked for my delivery information. I provided that and after a couple of days they came back saying they couldn't find a shipper who would deliver this to Ireland. Not very satisfactory don't you think. Anyway, with your help I was able to diagnose the issue. And you may be able to help again. Do you have any idea where I could source the spares in the photo attached. It's the PIR board and cable from one of their bullet cameras.

Advertisement