Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure Telecom FTTH Broadband

Options
  • 25-04-2023 7:56pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone any experiences with Pure, I am considering signing up to their 500mb package for €35 a month for 12 months, the only reason I am thinking them over say vodafone or Eir is because their customer service seems to be decent enough in the few calls Ive had with them to date. Ive been a VM customer for last 20 odd years between TV and BB, but FTTH has only gone live in my area in the last couple of weeks so I am thinking of jumping ship from Virgin media.

Am I right in thinking that regardless of whom the provider is, the infrastructure is the very same for all FTTH Providers so it just comes down to price, equipment choice and Customer service when deciding who to go to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

The various retailers resell OpenEir's wholesale FTTH so the fibre to the home leg is identical, but they may still differ in their backhaul pipes to the internet. If a reseller chooses to save money by economising on backhaul, they may experience congestion even when you have a massive fibre bandwith into your home. If the reseller chooses a longer route to interconnect to the Internet or has less local caching, you may experience poorer latency. It is difficult to get hard figures on these attributes, however, and they can vary with time of day. In general. ISPs who serve a large base of business customers are likely to have tighter specs, because businesses will demand this. I havent used Pure, so I cant comment.

You may also need to consider an ISP's capability to bundle. Because Eir owns mobile, broadband & TV platforms, it is in a strong position to offer cost-effective bundles. You can add unlimited mobile Sim subscriptions to your Eir bundle for €9.99pm each. This is the most competitive mobile deal on offer. Likewise you can add eir TV for €9.99 per month, which is very competitive. Eir don't advertise it, but you can also do multi-room at no extra monthly cost if you buy additional Apple TV boxes. Beware, Pure TV's offering is Saorview only (no UK channels). You can get Saorview free with just an aerial.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Ah yeah, that’s for that information, I’ve no interest in any TV package, I’ve the house set up with Saorview and Freesat a few years now.

im really only looking to see what other’s experiences of Pure are compared to say Vodafone, Eir and Sky for example. I’ve had issues with VM over the years but to be honest those were far and few between, the only reason I’m considering leaving them is for price and also curiosity to try out FTTH. If I do decide I’ll definitely keep both for a couple of weeks and avail of the 14 days cooling off period. VM have put together a deal for me alright so that will be something if i decide to stay with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

In my opinion I would avoid pure telecom like the plague. You'll see some good reviews from them online in recent times but they're actually amongst the worst internet service providers out there and I suggest you to look at google reviews newer reviews to see for yourself. You can trust me on that as someone who has dealing with them, their modems are junk and their service is terrible. They're very low on the list of installation priority as well so expect to be screwed around easily when the time comes to actually install your FTTH.

Then again you might have a good experience. No one can really tell until you bite the bullet and see for yourself. Just say I didn't warn you here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I had pure last year on same deal and it was all plain sailing. Fibre was installed within about 10 days, it would have been about 7 days only a 2nd team needed to come an unblock a duct. Install was very neat and router provided was very reliable. Only reason I switched this year is was because sky were doing the same for €30 and pure wouldn’t give me any similar deal. Switching then to sky was easy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I've siro through pure. No issues, everything works as it should.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, generally I find reviews for all companies are skewed to be honest. Regarding the modem they supply, this wont be an issue for me as Id be plugging directly into a Deco mesh system, however, they are now supplying a frizbox with their FTTH, I believe this is the same modem which digiweb provide. I have yet to give 30 days notice to VM so I think I will take a chance with Pure, and go as far as the install process and see if that can happen, I have a sneaky suspicion there will be a blocked duct issue also. If install goes to plan, I fully intend taking advantage of my 14 day cooling off period.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ForzaForward1

I signed up recently and didn't get a frtizbox, got a Sagemcom 5366

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

No bother at all.

They will probably give you a sagecom or a Zyxel 8623 so don't take it as a given that you will get fritzbox.

A frizbox turned up today, installation date is 12th May, so not to bad

My ducting was blocked so the installer couldn't install the ftth. The engineer said he'd log it for civils to come out and sort it.

I was just in contact with Pure and they pretty much said unblocking the ducting is something I have to resolve and nothing to do with them.

Anyone know who I need to contact to follow up on this? I presumed Pure would look after all this as part of the installation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

NBI allow up to €5000 to fix exactly this sort of thing on a per-household basis. Pure are correct in so far as it's not their problem, but it is NBIs problem.

Thanks for that. Is there anyone I should be following up with on this? Or as the engineer said he would 'let civils know' will it be in motion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

When was the engineer on site? I'd be allowing at least 2-3 weeks for the civils to come. Also do you have any idea where the ducting is running from/to? In the case of a blocked duct, they might have to dig up the area above the duct to replace it, just FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Anyone having issues in the Cork (Midleton) area.

I'm getting the red LOS light. No internet. Tried powering off etc no use.

According to https://downdetector.ie/status/pure-telecom/ there seems to be some outtages.

Don't want to ring them as I hope this resolves on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭John arse

Am with pure nearly a year,found them excellent so far. They haven't tried to rob me like Vodafone either!

Advertisement