Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Computer or Upgrade?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Thanks for the feedback folks - I'm way past self build vs prebuild vs Mac at this stage though 🙂 Happy with Micro ATX size and case also. I'm 99% on the spec too (but all ears). Pulling the trigger this week likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Did you build your PC? I'm thinking of copying yours because I'm a lazy git 😄

I haven't yet, but still intend to soon - just a few other things moving at the moment!

Back on this (again). Have changed tact slightly - machine in 90% productivity machine, standard things like lots of browsers open, spreadsheets, some light design work etc. with the capability to play some VR games with the Quest 2.

Based on the productivity requirement, have started leaning towards Intel. I realistically don't tend to upgrade as I go and have current work machine for 6+ years so can see myself doing same again, so good spec now is probably preferable rather than going down the AM4 route. Here's where I am:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/gxWzCd

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600KF 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor (£274.00 @ Amazon UK) 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler (£45.96 @ Amazon UK) 

Motherboard: ASRock B760M Steel Legend WiFi Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£167.97 @ Amazon UK) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL40 Memory (£125.00 @ Amazon UK) 

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£69.98 @ Amazon UK) 

Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2X 12G GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card (£278.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Mini MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£104.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX550 (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£57.86 @ Amazon UK) 

Total: £1124.75

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-10 11:16 GMT+0000

Any thoughts? I'm actually sick of it now - it's entirely my fault for being indecisive so just want to go ahead and buy now. Was looking at prebuilts this morning (Dell XPS) and it reminded me why I was looking at going this way int he 1st place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hyper 212 is a terrible cooler choice.

Thermalright are the new kings now.

• Advertisement

Good to know. I was just going off reviews/pricepoint as I know nothing about coolers so that's good to know. Swapped out:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fF9FHG

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600KF 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor (£274.00 @ Amazon UK) 

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£33.29 @ Amazon UK) 

Motherboard: ASRock B760M Steel Legend WiFi Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£167.97 @ Amazon UK) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL40 Memory (£125.00 @ Amazon UK) 

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£69.98 @ Amazon UK) 

Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2X 12G GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card (£278.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Mini MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£104.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX550 (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£62.04 @ Amazon UK) 

Total: £1116.26

Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-11 10:10 GMT+0000

Anything else of concern or worth considering in there?

Personally I’d swap the ssd for a WD Blue and swap the case for something cheaper and get a 3060Ti just to future proof it that little bit more.

Thanks - I'll check that out. These things always send me into a research spiral :)

OK final spec I think:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3vC8Xk

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600KF 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor (£276.97 @ Amazon UK) 

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£33.29 @ Amazon UK) 

Motherboard: ASRock B760M Steel Legend WiFi Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£164.90 @ Amazon UK) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL36 Memory (£124.49 @ Amazon UK) 

Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2X 12G GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card (£279.98 @ Amazon UK) 

Power Supply: MSI MAG A650BN 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£61.26 @ Amazon UK) 

Total: £1115.86

Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-18 14:43 GMT+0000

Changed out the memory and the power supply after being advised elsewhere. Appreciate the suggestions for the 3060ti but want to order everything from Amazon for simplicities sake and it hasn't been available there at all.

I genuinely think you’re over thinking this with constantly posting similar specs over and over again. Any difference is going to negligible at best around that price point. You’ve gone too dear on the mobo, ssd, case for what the build is.

couple of final thoughts on this, that pc and pretty much any of the above you’ve listed will breeze through any work tasks you throw at it. The GPU is overkill if it’s just light quest 2 usage in the future and your still better off value for money saving on a €110 euro case by getting a case for half the price and a cheaper SSD as mentioned above and using it on the Ti version of the card.

to be honest - if it’s solely for productivity right now, you can ditch the gpu and add a 3060ti or better yet, a 3070Ti at a later date and be set for years.

I wouldn’t be keen on the PSU either, I’ve not seen them in many builds, go for recommended PSUs you see on the majority of build videos as it’s the one area you don’t want to skimp on, Seasonic 80+ gold is well worth the money.

not to be a dick with this comment, but your basically posting the same question and getting good feedback. You can order off Overclockers still I believe, I’ve had a nightmare order directly off Amazon and having parts arrive late and damaged but there just my experience.

casekings.de another good option as is Amazon.de but just watch with the .de sometimes there’s a language issue with their products you may get a slightly different model case for example than what you initially searched for.

• Advertisement

Don't think you're being a dick here at all - it's unfamiliar territory and I'm definitely overthinking it. I think it's fair to say I have the information I need, so I think it's time to just get going with it.

Appreciate it everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Homelander

The entire build looks complete overkill for me for an office machine and needlessly putting money into if buts and maybes.

There would be 0% difference between this and a PC costing half the price for your current uses. You can always simply add a graphics card later if that need ever arises.

But a €300 CPU? A dedicated CPU cooler? A mid-range graphics card? Expensive case? A €200 motherboard?

I think somewhere above he said it was for work and some light VR usage - but I’ve found this thread to be annoying as it’s just reposts over the last year with virtually the same builds being posted over and over.

Have you any examples of a build for half the price that would perform perfectly well? I want to build one to play and record music.

get as good a second hand Mac that you can afford. At that price point you’ll find it way better.

If your budget is 550 in my opinion you are better served getting a 2016-2018 macbook - but to each their own.

OP here - I'd say this thread can be closed as it's only causing upset at this stage, but just a few things that might clarify why I feel I'm overspeccing it now:

• I want it to last for 5 or 6 years, so while it's almost definitely overspecced for now, I'd hope to get as long as possible out of it without upgrading again.
    • I have a budget to be spent from work, and it's easier to spend it now than to upgrade parts like the graphics card etc in the future, even if it's more practical to do that in general.
    • For things like the motherboard etc - it's probably fair to say I just don't know enough to know what's overkill and what would be a better replacement.

I'm also definitely overthinking + procrastinating instead of buying. I genuinely don't want to be wasting peoples time here, but thought that context might help (or not!).

I might leave it there, rather than cause more frustration, but I really do appreciate the input.

Your GPU will struggle in 5 years as will that PSU, but the rest should be ok.

best of luck OP post a pic when it’s built

• Advertisement
Advertisement