Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crows vs Seagulls in Renville Park, Galway

Options
  • 19-04-2023 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

Interesting report from a friend who is v regular walker in Renville Park, Oranmore.

Two weeks ago all crows abandoned their nests following a "battle" with seagulls. I'm guessing the gulls were robbing the nests as eggs were being laid or hatching. Some crows are moving back into the area now but it used to be a big population.

Any one else notice similar here or elsewhere? Any other causes?

TIA

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Sounds a bit suspect tbh. I'd be surprised if gulls were predating eggs from nests in trees like that. They usually predate eggs from nests on the ground. Was it very windy there recently? I know a rookery that used to be in my garden was abandoned, and subsequently moved down the road, after strong wings caused damage to nests, chilling of eggs etc.

Advertisement