Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

@ Quoting issue for reopened accounts

Options
  • 19-04-2023 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Hi Technical types :)

So sometime ago I marked my account for deletion / anonymisation. It took so long to process this that I infact forgot I had made the request entirely. At which point I returned to posting on boards a little.

Then suddenly I think the backlog of such requests was processed and a lot of accounts got closed suddenly. My own fault of course for forgetting. I believe quite a few users were similarly surprised by this?

Anyhoo: At the request of another user I reopened my account to post on a thread which was fine. Everything worked fine. And when people QUOTE my posts everything works fine too.

However if a user tries to @ reply to me in a post the system anonymyses my username in their reply. Is there any available fix for this OTHER than to have me change my current user name to another one? I am kind of used to this one now :) Since the system does not block users from signing up to the forum with previously existing usernames - I imagine I will not be the last user with this issue.

Thanks muchly!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That's the first I've heard of a case like this.

@Boards.ie: Mike If you can look into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Just going to test if it happens when I @ myself too....

@taxAHcruel Testing testing testing.

Hmmm seems to work when I do it to myself! But if you look at post 1433 and 1437 in the thread "Andrew Tate" in "After Hours" you will see that when another user correctly @'ed me it changed my username to "Alma Mushy Autograph" both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

@taxAHcruel looks like it worked

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

Hi there,

My apologies for only responding now. This thread has completely slipped under the radar for some reason until ohnonotgmail posted here. Then it popped up in notifications. Anyhow!!

I will find out if this issue can be fixed for you. The general process is anonymisation of the account and then “deletion”. So the account access, active profile and personal info is removed but the posts remain on site with an anonymised name.

Your account is still active and you continue to post when it should have been removed. I think the anonymisation tool is hitting some tags and not others. I’ll get someone far more knowledgeable than me to have a look and see what fix can be implemented.

Thanks all.

• Advertisement

^ Careful :) @Boards.ie: Mike

I opened a new account with the same username! So make sure you are not mistaking that for "Your account is still active and you continue to post".

I was wondering if the issue is caused because somehow since I used the same user name again - the system has linked my new account to the old one at some level.

@Boards.ie: Mike

To me it looks like the problem is essentially resolved. According to the test by ohnonotgmail above. The original problem - whatever it was - is now gone.

I do however notice I get no notifications for replies to my posts. Or if anyone @'s me.

Not sure if that is a connected issue.

But this is a new account not the old one. So please do not delete this one thinking it is the still functioning old one. I just used the same username when I signed up again (which - arguably - should not have been possible as it means anyone can sign up and pretend to be anyone who has deleted their account in the past).

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

I certainly would not remove any accounts without a request being made.

As I said I will get someone in tech to take a deeper look into this to avoid any issues arising in the future.

With your notification status you can check out what is selected in your preferences by clicking the menu link on the notifications tab.

I’ll make updates here as I get information on this.

Thanks, Mike.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement