Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find info on destruction of forest.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Ak84

You might get some info off this map.

I had a look and I think it was a coillte clear fell.

Make sure to turn on all the labels in the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

Thanks for the info, mystery solved. I guess that means they will be replanting at some stage but it's taken them 3 years to clear and I'm not sure they have finished yet.

Edit: I just noticed it's marked as a private clear fell, does that still mean they will be replanting? I believe most of what is marked out on that map is now gone.

Interesting that you liked this forest and I'm going to assume it was conifer, and if ready for clearfelling probably 35 years plus.

Those who rail against the perceived ugliness of conifers tend to be people who cannot see things in the long term. It's the story of the ugly duckling, unattractive when young, but beautiful as they get older. Had it been possible to leave these trees for another 50 years, you'd have trees in the early stages of adult life, magnificent beings, supporting an ecosystem and providing pleasure.

Therein lies the crux of the debates about forestry...pleasure or profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Coillte owned. They have a statutory obligation to replant, so likely will happen but will take maybe 20 years to be of substance again. Maybe you have a local Neighbour Wood scheme where you can encourage them to put in paths when they replant.

It's got a nice path, perfect for a 1 hr stroll and great views of Lough Derg. My dog doesn't seem to mind the conifers. 😉

What usually happens to a public path when most the trees are felled? It's got some nice benches that youd can sit at overlooking the lake that are now no longer accessible.

There are a few Coillte areas that I walk but this is the first time I've experience a public path obliterated. 😞

I'd still be happy to use the area even without the trees. But realistically how long would it take them to clear the path?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Who put in the path and benches? Maybe a local community development group? Was the path surfaced and/or obvious to the felling contractors? Seek out info from neighbours, maybe you or they can talk to area forest manager and explain. I've seen forest plantations cut and all paths other than main forest drags are simply lost. The contractor doesn't care, they are there to harvest the timber and onto the next site. The local or area forest manager might care as Coillte has a public amenity remit.

I've no idea who established the walking paths, 50% of it was the gravel road for logging and the rest were dirt paths where the brush had been cut back. It was never busy even on the weekend but there was enough people walking the main circle to prevent the dirt paths from overgrowing.

I live about 10km away so do not know the locals. The first time I went there I was unsure if public access was permitted as there wasn't even a coillte sign, it was only when I saw signs that directed people back to the car park that I knew it was ok to walk there. The benches were overlooking the lake, they did have info on who installed them but I never took the time to read it and I am unsure if I could get access to them now.

I will try to contact the area forest manager here https://www.coillte.ie/contact/, unless you know of a better way to go about it. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Hi,

just stumbled across this discussion, I can answer most of the questions above as I live nearby and am familiar with the initial development of the paths and signage.

Mod edit:

Phone number and name removed.

PM user for contact details.

Post edited by greysides on

Advertisement