Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Australians **Mod Warning in Post #129**

Options
  • 18-04-2023 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭

What's the general consensus here on the Aussies? I like them anyway and Australia is a great country as well. The only negatives for me are the climate, the dangerous animals and wildlife that inhabit the place, and the fact that it's just too far from Ireland. I also find the habit of subtitling irish accents on Australian tv to be annoying and kind of racist. It's a nice place to visit but i could never actually imagine myself living there.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Post edited by JupiterKid on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It’s also very outdoors orientated, and that isn’t shorthand for drinking outside. I remember one Sunday morning going for a drive outside of Melbourne and was surprised about the amount of people just doing stuff. At a similar time in Ireland people would be sleeping off a hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Irish people have a lie in on a day off.

Aussies get up earlier than normal and do stuff on a day off.

Also the parrots are really cool, for me there was just something about seeing them out in the open.

Great food, middling people, terrible beer, bit of a police state. Fussy sort of place - the Home Counties in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

At the same time in Ireland it was also pi**ing down with rain. That’s part of the reason Irish people drink so much. I’m not joking either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Schnooks

Racist (towards Chinese and Pacific Island colleagues, not me), extremely ignorant and literally quite stupid at times. Also they love to take the piss out of other countries but go mental when you do it back, generally not nice people at all in my fairly extensive experience of being there over the years with work etc.

As I have heard many people say - Australia would be a great country, if it wasn't full of Australians!

They weren't all bad of course and I did meet some good ones, but they had a fairly high proportion of complete w@nkers. Would never ask to go back there tbh, far better places to spend my time and money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I loved it there, spent two years there. It's just too far from home for me to want to be there forever but really loved the place. The access to outdoors and the weather especially, and the fact they are pretty much the same culturally and speak English. Some of the places you can go to are incredible, having totally untouched pristine beaches to yourself.

The food is great, best range of fish and seafood I've ever come across, they do some great beers too if you get away from the mainstream stuff. And so many vineyards you can visit.

And as for racist, Ireland is the only place I've seen people shouting the N word at people walking down the street, or at black security guards etc. People in glass houses...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I cannot stand their accent . I probably OD-on Neighbours in the 90’s . Also they’re quite annoying . Well the ones I’ve met . Met a couple in New York who just kept saying we’re from the other side of the world ,etc. . Though I’ve never been there I know where it is !!

Great kissers though and very energetic 😷😷

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The ones I've met here have been a bit brash. Maybe that's just the Aussies who travel.

• Advertisement

Been there 5 times to visit family. It’s grand like but a bit boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

no offence but you mustn't have many interests yourself if you find australia boring

I’ve loads of interests. It’s a country with very little real culture and that shows. It’s good for outdoors stuff but it’s a bit empty. My parents who have been there many times agree with me. It lacks the cultural depth of Europe. It’s safe and slightly bland living which suits people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Quite honestly I could do subtitles to understand some of my fellow Countrymen here in Ireland, Danny Healy Rae for example, so I ain't gonna hold it against the Australian TV networks.

Having spent time in Australia, I don't view all Aussies as a homogeneous group. There are native Australians and Irish Australians and Greek Australians and all sorts and they often have some of the national characteristics of their heritage, so like America, it's a melting pot.

But in the main, I like people who have grown up in Aussie, they're pretty direct, like a good time, work hard and play hard. And they make the best of the weather that they get.

But I've been in inland Queensland in 42 degrees surrounded by poisonous spiders and nothing but dry brush for a thousand kilometres and honestly I'd take my Irish Sunday hangover eating crisps and drinking Lucozade any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

God bless them for making the first two Mad Max films

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Schnooks

I enjoyed alot of my time there too, But could not get over the ignorance, the sheer stupidity and brainlessness, and the racism I encountered almost daily against colleagues. I am big and bold enough to throw any mocking about the Irish right back at them, except maybe I was a bit better at it than them. This they did not expect and hated it, and used to get really annoyed about it. But the others in my company were not as comfortable in those back and forth situations, it was probably a bit lost in translation on them, so maybe I jumped in a bit on their behalf from time to time.

Fully aware of some people in this country who are the exact same, as you decribed. No disagreement there, and no glass houses. We Irish can be an embarassment at times too, especially when abroad and drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Lacks cultural depth? Withdraw that comment immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Don't know many Aussies, they seem grand but like any collection of stereotypical people they have their ups and downs.

The country itself is somewhere I will never go though. Everything, EVERYTHING, wants to kill you:

Killer spiders, killer snakes, killer octopus, killer jellyfish, killer fish (sharks, stonefish), killer reptiles, drop pandas, killer bees, killer shellfish, "pretty colour" killer snails, a fecking paralysis tick!, killer ants, killer insects in general, the most dangerous bird alive (cassowary), attack magpies, roos and wombats who like to fight, . Then we get to the weather, which can kill with its heat or cold, rip currents galore, heatwaves, 40ft waves...

Nah, I'll stick with the lovely rain in Ireland, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Ive always found them a bit thick, spent a lot of time in Victoria State, Melbourne and Adelaide.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'll give them this: they don't go quietly into the good night when wrongfully arrested...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

all i know is that they've been using a crafty new sophisticated plot to steal workers from various parts of the world.

something to do with a proper salary or some such wizardry.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

I toured around Eastern Australia for a couple of months a while back and I'd have to agree that the majority of men there would fit that category. There were of course some sound lads we encountered and the women tended to be friendly and outgoing.

This was especially true in smaller towns and there was an obnoxiousness among the men there that I've never experienced anywhere before. They were worse again with drink on them.

I likened them to the worst type of lout you'd come across in England and it might be fairly understandable, given the make up of the early settlers in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I lived over in Australia for 2 years. Ireland is definitely not on the same scale as Australia in the racism category.

I seen it in city life but in the outback its just unreal.

The aboriginal people are not respected by a large part of Australian society.

Just as an example the mauroi people in newzeland.

The newzelanders have the highest respect for the natives. This just inst the case at all in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I was there for 4 months and in those four months I witnessed and experienced more racism than I have in my entire life(excluding that time)...

Openly being racist towards Asians and Pacific Islanders... absolutely disgusting, and it was very open and seemed to be accepted, i spent time in Sydney, Newcastle, Melbourne & Perth

It's almost like the aborigines don't exist. I remember being in a lunch and someone brought up racism in the US. To paraphrase them: we don't have that problem here, apart from the abos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭tastyt

I like the Aussies , they don’t apologise for who they are and don’t need to be loved or a pat on the head all the time and told how great they are by other countries. They make their rules for the good of the country and you abide by them of **** back to where you came from

A stunningly beautiful place too

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Piskin

I came across the best and the worst of people in Australia. Found most of them thick & obnoxious, akin to the redneck you will find in southern states in the US. The late Robin Williams called aussies rednecks with english accents. They have a serious identity crisis and they are obsessed with it, ie flags everywhere, media and in conversation with them it's not long before they bring up that they are australian etc. Great food, good nightlife and great beaches. Make friends with them and they are friends for life. There is an empty vibe due to that the people are not native to the land excepts the aboriginals. Loud and annoying and horrible obnoxious drunks. Aussie women will drop their knickers in a heartbeat and are mostly good company. Good place to get ahead but couldn't live there for the long term as it is bland & empty after a while, Kudos to them because they can run a country well and make the best of the outdoor lifestyle. In terms of running a country they are streets ahead of the inept stupid backward greedy corrupt powers that be in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Piskin

Advertisement