Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi weightlifting belt

Options
  • 14-04-2023 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Bought a cheap weightlifting belt in Aldi. Never have worn one before so not even sure what to look for,if it fits, is suitable etc. Any advice. It can't do any harm I assume and better if wearing for lifting heavy than beltless?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

This is a reasonably good overview of belts and their uses:-

Should You Wear a Weightlifting Belt When You Lift? | The Art of Manliness

My few cents is that if you are squatting above 80% then it may be worth wearing a proper belt in order to be able to get the most out of a set. The belt should be tight enough that you really feel it helps give you something to brace against, you should feel that it really helps you create a stiff belly and plenty of internal pressure.

The evidence as to whether belts actually prevent injury is a bit iffy these days, I think there's little doubt they add a few kilos to your max numbers though.

The sort of belt I'm talking about is one which is quite thick and wide, and the same diameter all the way around. If your belt is wider at the back but tapers to be narrower at the front and sides then it's going to be more comfortable to wear and squat / hinge in, but it's probably going to afford much less support. The conventional wisdom is that olympic lifters and CrossFit athletes need the mobility afforded by this design however.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Bellie1

Thanks Black sheep. That article is really clear. And the 5€ belt from Aldi is definitely not a good idea

Advertisement