Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking fine

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭beachhead

3 hours max stay.You should have left for 30-60 then returned.Same can happen when parking in the same street for too long in some towns/cities

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Not true if someone buys a ticket and then three hours later removes that ticket and replaces it with a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭covidcustomer

Have you taken a photo of the obstructed sign? I would do that as a matter of urgency, this will support your case.

What time did you park the car as a matter of interest?

Is that why the photo's were taken? To show that you didn't move the car from that one space?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Op I would challenge or appeal under the basis that the photos as provided by the warden have no actual proof of time on them?

State that after 3 hours you drove your car out of the carpark and then re-parked it in the exact car parking space. As long as you have paid for the extra 3 hours it will be difficult for that wanker to get his jobs worth out of you. I would also find out where that guttersnipe lives, don't do this btw.

I feel for you, you have been picked on by a complete wanker who has possibly observing you for weeks and decided to have a go. I could understand if you weren't paying your fee, but it is very petty otherwise.

Challenge the viability of their photographic evidence, they have to prove 100% that you parked there over 3 hours without moving. They won't be able to to do that... unless they were sad enough to video you for 3 hours. Is there CCTV at the entrance? If there is say you moved with the space, I doubt there is CCTV, there would only be one in a private car park, where they actually care about their customers enjoying a good park as opposed to leaching Co Council who are trying to suck you dry and are wasting state funds by employing an arsehole to extort you while you are paying anyways. Appeal those phuckers and get your hard earned back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Out of interest, how do you think a traffic warden proves a car was parked illegally, when they don’t take a photograph?

I agree with a lot of this, I think the OP was targeted. I agree that he should appeal it on the basis that the photo's can't show whether or not they moved for an hour and came back to the same spot and parked the same way - the only definitive proof that the OP overstayed is from the app, when they paid for another 3 hours parking after being parked there for 3 hours and if this wasn't on the T&C's of the app when the OP signed up, then that could be an issue.

Also, that the warden took the photo at 11am, a lucky strike? Or they knew what they were doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭RoboRat

They took detailed photos before lunch and after lunch. They don't do this for all cars... other colleagues use the facility in the same manner, but use the ticket machine instead and never had an issue. Perhaps I was unfortunate and it was a spot check, it's odd that it happened the first time I used the app though.

Anyhow, I've appealed and 2 councillors have added their voice. I also spoke to the council who were very helpful. It's an externally manged car park and from looking online, the management company have a terrible reputation.

Anyhow, I asked to get this thread closed down as I got an answer to my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

Sad state of affairs when you can't ask for a small bit of advice without being attacked by passive aggressive users.

Could speak to the warden if you’re parking while you work they might let you on if you pay the parking fee and the car parks not busy.

But from what I read here it’s a complete irrelevance if they took pics of your car and only yours or everyone’s.

its fair to say they prob took the necessary photos of all cars in breach of the parking rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Ah in fairness now they have chosen to provide the space, the only question to my mind is whether the rules are fairly applied and whether by use of the app whether it should simply refuse renewals. In DCC, this is not possible as they use colour coded zones which are not contiguous as opposed to DOR which uses two digit codes which could preclude follow on hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You'll find that the rules are phrased to disallow the cute hoors who think that driving out and back in again gets around them. IIRC, the rules in DCC say something like 'cannot park in the same street/area in the following three hours' so it really doesn't matter where you drive in the interim. This isn't their first rodeo.

The wardens will generally record reg numbers on their phones, so faffing around with a new ticket gets you precisely nowhere. This isn't their first rodeo.

Jeez, sounds like you have some really incompetent developers there. Maybe you should start working with developers who know their way around planning and actually get things done. It sounds like the Council want to provide visitor parking, so they've obviously decided that day parking isn't appropriate on their space. Businesses will absolutely be closing down when there is no visitors able to visit the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭Trampas

would that be a council device or personal phone. If personal should they be using it for work

I presume it's a Council device, with a particular app for noting registrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Oh I know that. The point was that it's not only app users who stay in the same space without moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is not a defence to a parking fine to say other people are getting away with it. John Waters went to jail after offering that efence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I'd well believe it. Any councillor will jump on any hard luck story and promise to raise it at the next meeting if they think it might result in a vote at the next election.

OP, I think you're probably out of luck here. All indications are that you broke the three-hour rule, however unjustified or unfair that three-hour rule might appear.

Having said that, I roll my eyes when I see that good ole Andy is on his usual anti-motorist and anti-car hobby horse. "What makes you think somebody else should provide storage space for your personal property?", he asks. I dunno, Andy. But tell me - does this mean you're also opposed to Council houses being rented out to tenants, if Councils shouldn't have to provide storage space for people's property, and even for the people themselves????

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Just bin it OP. Pretend you never got it. There's no proof you received the fine. What if someone pulled the sticker off your window?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

You're some man for deflection.

But okay then, let's broaden it to all rental properties. Maybe you even rent a place yourself, or if not, I'm sure you know people who do. To repeat your own question, why should others be providing storage space for these people's personal property?

Or let's just bring it back to Councils. Seems you've an issue with any expectation that a Council might provide "storage space for personal property" in the form of car parking spots. I trust you'd have the same issue with any expectation that a Council might provide "storage space for personal property" in the form of secure racks for bicycle parking?

But anyway, we've gone way off the main point of this thread. I just wanted to make my own point about how illogical your constant anti-car and anti-motorist rhetoric is. QED.

Thanks, but it's looking like I'll get a resolution. From talking to the councillors, this has been raised many times and certain councillors shoot down the proposed solution. I have asked if I can be present to challenge those councillors at the next meeting.

I'm not happy to leave it, it's a small fine but it's the principal of the matter that annoys me. If I was to just pay the fine, then nothing would change and it may lead to other people getting fined for trying to do a day's work, and they may not be lucky enough to be in financial position I'm in.

The management company have a bad reputation and I'm not letting it go. They could amend their app and remove the option to extend, when it's not allowed, but they probably make nice money from the fines. If they're going to be difficult with me, I'll be equally difficult with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If you leave the car park and return, shouldn’t there be an option to purchase a new ticket?

I don’t know what your prospects of having the fine cancelled are, but I suspect the rate paying commercial businesses in the town centre who rely on their customers being able to park there in order to access their businesses, will counter any argument you put forward for workers to be able to park all day there.

Post edited by Dav010 on

The car park is never full during the week. The previous complaints lodged with the councillors are also from local businesses... its a running issue from what I've heard. They also need staff to run the business, and the staff need access to parking facilities.

Advertisement