Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2023

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭event

That was absolutely horrendous. We were on for sub 4 at half way, ended up in 4:20. Had to walk loads.

Passed about 15 people put cold on the floor in last 5 miles. Very tough day at the office.

Don't let that put anyone off if it's your first

Few things for me that they could improve on.

The quality of the "goodie bag" was shocking. 4 lindt sweets, a can of red bull and dome linseed. Jesus folks. It was €90 to enter.

The Tshirt size isn't great but that's not their fault really.

The big one for me was the half marathon joining at half way. They need to let them off sooner. When they joined us the 1:30 pacers were just coming through. That's 6:50 pace. We were doing about 8:45 in our group. So you had runners flying by (which can be disheartening) and also ducking and weaving trying to get by people who were running slower. I saw a few stumbles as people bumped in to other and there were some angry shouts. If they want to continue, they need to work out a better way so that the same paces join together

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Very good event overall, plenty of people supporting along the course.

Agree on goodie bag, not much in it for the price.

Few places with very narrow streets with lots of runners made it bit difficult. Also when 1:50 HM pacers met 04:00 M pacers it was difficult to overtake.

I have improved my PB by over 5 minutes so very happy in general.

Great buzz at the finish too. Will be back next year most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Good few comments on this blog, most revolve around the poor amount of water available. Some runners apparently needing to drink from discarded bottles and others stopping at shops to buy a drink.

Can't comment myself (was spectating).

As I was coming up to a water stop I actually didn't take one as I was doing ok and looked like they hadn't much left. I'd say loads of people took two bottles such was the heat, not sure how the organizers can predict that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Thankfully I didn't notice the water issue, from reading some of the comments it sounds pretty horrendous.

I agree on the points about the half mixing with full, the leaders of the half came at us like a bullet train, there were roars everywhere of get out of the way. We didn't know what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Infoseeker1975

Thanks a million for this tip as it worked a treat, did the half and with no hair the mix of sweat and suncream would normally be a curse. First time doing a half marathon and it was tough going in that heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mikeh22

The support, music and residents out with the water hoses were unreal.

Overall the event was great and really enjoyed it.

But with the entry fee so high, they really need to up the goodie bags and t-shirts.

The medals were poor imo

The medals are a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mikeh22

My friend did his first marathon (3hr 29min).

He could not believe what he was handed after the race

• Advertisement

Got an email from Cork about the water issues.

Reads like they are blaming the army for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

I read this morning that the event company who were managing the Cork marathon have been jettisoned & it's back with the council for next year. Guess trying to throw the volunteers from the defense forces under the bus wasn't a great idea!

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Is the event company named? Do they have specific experience in race management (apart from Cork)?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭omicron

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

They seem to be a very general corporate events company. I think race management is probably a completely different kettle of fish - especially given the requirement for so many volunteers, which corporate events generally don't have to depend on. Anyway, I hope the Cork people manage to create a good partnership, maybe with one or more of the many excellent clubs, or an organising committee/company made up of experienced local running people (like DCM for example). Or then again, maybe that's what they had before! It's an excellent event that deserves the best possible arrangement.

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone know if this sells out? Considering it after an injury layoff, but want to wait until closer to the date to register if I can. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Different organisers this year (Cork City Council) but they were selling marathon numbers on the Friday night before the run last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭weadick

There always seems to be a small enough turn out for the actual marathon in Cork. Mainly half marathon, 10k and (previously) relay runners.

Advertisement