Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resignation date

Options
  • 12-04-2023 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

what would you consider to be your resignation date? The day you hand in notice or the date you resign?

For example if you drafted a letter saying “I hear by give notice of my resignation effective on 1 June 2023” would you consider the resignation date as of 1 June?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭cml387

The date you leave is the resignation date.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The date you give in your resignation letter, after that you are working out your notice period.

Sorry. It's always nice sometimes to be proved definitively wrong.

Apart from determining the start of the notice period and possibly entitlement to bonuses, I don't think it makes much difference. Salary, insurance, reference letter all go by the exit date.

Probably it strikes a chord because I'm retiring next week after 30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,195 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I would say that your resignation date is the date you resign. When you give your notice you are not resigning; you are giving notice that you will resign at a stated date. You don't actually resign until your notice period expires. The day that happens is your resignation date.

But others may see things differently, so in some workplaces it may be the convention to use "resignation date" for the day you give notice, and some other time (Exit date? Termination date?) for the day your employment ceases.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭macchoille

It’s worth having an informal discussion first with your manager to give them a heads up. Always good to leave on a positive note in case you need to boomerang.

The last place I resigned (after an 18 year tenure) had a 4 week policy but I stayed on for about 6 (due to the induction dates of current employer).

Previous employer was happy for me to stay on longer as it ‘helped’ find a replacement and to knowledge transfer (He started on my last day 😂 but I had made screen recordings in addition to the documented procedures).

Congrats! I retired at 55 a couple of years ago. It takes a while to get into the swing of things and teach some people that you are not a free resource available to drop everything when called, but once you do, 6 Saturdays and a Sunday is the way to go ;-)

Advertisement