Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Type 2 to commando socket 7kw?

• 09-04-2023 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

Is there such a thing?

I'm getting a 7kw kiln soon & it can be placed close to the zappi.

Its there such a thing? I can manage to not use the zappi if I'm using the kiln. The zappi has load balancing enabled. Just wondering if it's possible or could a cable be made up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭innrain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭loopymum

I'm getting a 7kw kiln. I'm wondering if it's possible to utilise the zappi connection by plugging the zappi tethered connection into atype 2 socket that then has an adaptor to commando?

But looking at your link i might as well just install a 7kw commando socket which would be cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭innrain

Is the kiln single phase? I think you need something like this but this is only 16A per phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think it might be easier to just install a 32A commando socket on the same circuit

You'll need a CT clamp from the Zappi on the circuit feeding both outlets. You'll need to setup the Zappi to have a group limit on that circuit with 31A

This will stop the Zappi running when the socket is active

It's actually quite similar to the setup I have with my Zappi and EO Mini. In the second picture you can see the CT clamp inside the junction box for both chargers

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I would do a variation of the pictures above, just put a 32 a commando socket where the type 2 is, put commando plug on the zappi and on the kiln, plug out zappi, plug in kiln or vice versa ,

Why send current through the zappi when there is no need to and its not made to be a socket only made to charge your car.

Only problem I see is the short cable on the zappi, but its not a major one.

• Advertisement

That's a neat idea, although I think the Zappi needs to be permanently wired in to be compliant with the regs

Depends on how strict the electrician is I'd say

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Only thing with this is that you’d be constantly killing power, then rebooting and if there’s any wifi connection with other devices in the myenergi system it won’t work properly.

Split the feed and load balancing CT is what is do too.

Good point on the wifi, load balancing CT will keep the zappi on? Would it just send enough juice to keep the zappi powered up or would it switch off?

My idea is just plug it out and fire the kiln for 24 hours or what ever length then plug back in,

The kiln will not be burning all the time either, I would imagine once it reaches set temperature, it will be on and off just to keep the temperature level.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The load balancing will only kick in if the 2 are plugged in together and the draw is more than the input you select.

You tell the myenergi product (Zappi or eddi) whatever is the master, the main income supply and you set the limit through the ct clamp so when it hits that it reduces.

You can still charge the car, it may just drop it to 25a, or 16a whatever.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's basically how mine works. When the Leaf is charging from the EO Mini it uses 16A, so if the Zappi is charging it'll reduce current to 16A to stay within the limit

The standby current of the Zappi is in milliamps so unlikely it'll be what puts the circuit over the limit. If you're that close to the margin then I'd suggest you need to increase the max current in the breaker if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

A 7kW kiln will need a large blue 32amp socket.

In terms of load sensing most houses are 60 amp max and so with the car charging and say immersion heating, kettle etc you will be near maximum house supply. The zappi will probably need to measure total draw for whole house so two feeds one for car and one for kiln may be needed. The electrician can check the details and give advice.

How many ct clamps are you using? The ct clamp is practically in my fusebox atm.

I think it's the wrong way around as well? The load sensing works fine & i dunt have solar as of yet.

I have 3 at the moment

1 for the grid connection connected to a Harvi in the meter box (I could have wired this back to the Zappi CT1 in fairness but I wasn't 100% sure where I'd be placing the Zappi when I got it)

1 for the Solar PV connected to a Harvi near the consumer unit

1 for monitoring the Zappi+EO circuit in a junction box just before the Zappi. This is wired to CT2 on the Zappi and configured as a Monitor CT)

If you scroll back a bit there's a picture of the junction box wiring for the Zappi and EO Mini chargers

So do you think i need another ct clamp? I have the one which seems to monitor the feed from both thezappi & the house? The load balancing definitely works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Electrically this would not work anyway as a vehicle has to negotiate the charging speed (current) between itself and the wall charger and then turn on the wall charger socket. If you were to say just plug in a kiln it would not negotiate and the power would remain off at the wall charger. That's why my GARO wall charger sings a little song to tell you when it has connected and negotiated.

You definitely need 2, one for the grid feed into the house, and one to monitor the circuit to the Zappi

The first one is for load balancing the whole house, so if you run an electric shower or something the Zappi will slow down. It'll probably have a limit to 58A to stay below the 63A main fuse

Second one does the load balancing for the Zappi and 32A commando socket on the same circuit.

You'll need to configure the second CT sensor in CT config under Advanced settings

Here's mine as an example

When you set it to monitor it'll automatically create the Monitor group

When you set the limit it'll ensure the group doesn't go over the limit, effectively by reducing the power output of the Zappi

There's more info in the manual on page 28 (Group limits)

There's a table of 3 different use cases, you'd be looking at the second one which is a Zappi with another appliance on the same circuit

Advertisement