Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will the Steyr be replaced?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

A new primary weapon for the DF is very much not required.

You talk about "if", "but" and "when", however a new weapon, plainly for the sake of it, falls far far behind the need to fix the organisation.

The current rifle doesnt need a fix, and a new rifle wont fix anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd agree with you SFP. Further I'd argue that given the AUG is reliable, robust, easy to use and recently upgraded.

That changing it out for another system unless also swapping out to a new service calibre would be a waste of money.

The US are adopting the 6.8mm cartridge and where the US leads on the ammo front, NATO follows.

There's far more pressing needs for the Army than replacing the AUG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

NATO doesn't even follow that quickly. USA went 5.56mm in 1964, British Army only ditched the SLR in 1985, Germans took longer replacing the G3 in the mid 1990s, French went in the 70s but they always followed their own path, not even using 7.62mm for most of the cold war, preferring instead their 7.5mm. (tangent: Air Corps Fouga CM170 Magisters were originally fitted with twin 7.5mm AA-52 machine guns in the nose. Same gun was used as a coax initially on AML60-7s before being refitted for FN MAG).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If magazine types are really an issue, and unless Irish stocks are oddly low I can’t see why that would be the case, then it seems far cheaper to just replace the stock with a NATO stock. I have one on my rifle. I do admit that the ability to use the same magazine as on an m4 is handy, but I pay for my magazines. Irish soldiers tend not to.

On the subject of the M4, the thing is basically still the same direct gas impingement rifle as the old M16, somewhat tweaked. Quite serviceable, all those years later, I see no reason the AUG shouldn’t be.

Advertisement