Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exercises could be the possible cause of dull lower back pain?

Options
  • 09-04-2023 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

I strength train and am wondering if there is any exercise or movement in particular that could be causing the dull lower back pain I've had for the past few weeks? It's worse when sitting down, sometimes when standing too, but usually better when standing, and then mostly fine when lying down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

How is your posture when lifting? Any free weight exercise standing with poor posture could be a culprit. Improper technique also.

If you are doing a military press but struggling to lift the weight up and leaning backward to get it up that is actually a bench press without proper back support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Not sure re my posture. Probably not great when deadlifting, but I do try, and I practice my technique and form.

I could really feel it when doing a DB overhead press, and also the seated leg curl.

I took a week off the gym to see if it improved. A week then turned into two, as the kids are off school and it's been tricky to get there. I want to get back into it this coming week, but the pain is still there. It's not severe pain, but definitely still there.

Up until that point, I guess I had been going to the gym more regularly and training harder, as I've had more time on my hands lately, perhaps I pushed myself too hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Not to frighten you but two cases of lower back pain I know of recently turned out to be testicular cancer and pancreatic cancer. No other symptoms. One a young man making a good recovery. The other middle aged and ongoing treatment.

both active and assumed pain was a strain from work. Both diagnosed when referred for scan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It's going to be nearly impossible to diagnose what's going on via a thread like this.

Mark Rippetoe has a great line that your back hurts because you're a bipedal mammal and you're over 30.

If you do deadlifts and I tell you that you're going too heavy and letting the bar travel too far in front, and it's causing shear forces on your low back that could be the cause of disc or tissue changes that are causing the pain then that sounds plausible... But it could have little or nothing to do with why your back aches, nor might anything else you're doing in the gym.

There's some evidence now that even MRIs and extensive hands-on exams won't always get to the bottom of why some people have chronic back pain (longer than 6 weeks) and some people don't. Some people with spines that appear relatively normal report ongoing pain, some people with multiple herniations are pain free.

If you really want to investigate it then a doctor, physio, MRI and maybe form checks with a competent lifting coach are your options.

The best advice when it comes to the gym that I can give someone with low back pain is to make sure you're using appropriate loads on all movements, and build back up slowly. Go by feel. If you need form checks then get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Maybe stay away from the gym for 10-14 days to see if the pain eases.Then return and build up slowly again.If,not easing medical exam should be considered.

• Advertisement

I'm female, but yes the scary thoughts did cross my mind. That's why I wanted to take a few days off the gym to see if the pain improved , or see which of the exercises I perform could possibly cause it. And then go to the GP if still no improvement.

Post edited by Sunrise_Sunset on

Oops, sorry for assuming male, but another assumption, they are not as proactive at health matters.

Do get it checked out if it doesn't improve soon and don't get fobbed off that it's normal.

Hope you get back to fitness soon. As an ancient female I'm blessed with good health and fitness. Gardening has paid off for me I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Back pain is normal. It’s the most common form of musculoskeletal pain, and the vast majority of people over the age of 30 experience it. Telling someone they might have cancer because their back is sore is perhaps a tad irresponsible.

OP, lots of things can help with back pain. Any kind of exercise that isn’t aggravating is a good start. Managing your stress, sleep and nutrition can also help. The good news is that it usually disappears after a few weeks anyway. 🤙🏻 If not then you should look for a good health professional to guide you.

Thank you.

Hopefully it is just some mechanical back pain that will go away. It does seem to be worse when sitting and I read that this could be something related to the discs, maybe bulging discs.

I do suffer with anxiety so hearing about cancer is not great for me, and my parent in law has a terminal diagnosis, so my mind doesn't go to very nice places.

I just wanted to see if it could be caused from maybe over exerting myself. I did move from DB deadlifts to BB deadlifts not too long ago and maybe I was pushing myself too hard.

Is it not better to have things checked out. The testicular cancer was diagnosed in a Twenty year old who thought he strained his back. It had already spread to lymph nodes but he is recovering after two rounds of treatment.

A chiropractor referred him for a scan and he had surgery and began treatment as soon as it was diagnosed. Knowledge is power. The chances are slim that a pain means cancer but anything that persists should be checked. Peace of mind also aids healing.

This is from someone who sees their doctor on average once every three years, so I'm not a hypochondriac.

• Advertisement

I'm all for getting stuff checked out when there are actual significant red flags present.

But what Sunrise_Sunset has described is literally the most common symptom of the most common type of pain, and a few weeks is very normal timeline for it to persist.

The two cases you've referred to are so noteworthy because they're outliers.

Thanks guys.

I scheduled a GP appointment for this week. I do feel it has improved the past couple of days, definitely worse when sitting, when up and about or lying down I can barely feel it now.

The pain is quite low down, above the buttocks almost, but doesn't radiate into the legs so I don't think it's sciatica.

I'll go back to dumbbell RDL's for a while I think, maybe I exerted myself with the barbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Hope all goes well, let us know how you get on.

Personally I've experienced something very similar, I put this down to sitting a lot (I drive with work) causing glute issues despite working them regularly with leg work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭billyhead

Could it be a tweaked or pulled muscle. I had one from doing dead lifts and for a short time couldn't get out of chair without lower back pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Suggesting that low back pain could be cancer is definitely the realm of hypochondria.

Most parts of the body could develop cancer. Most parts of the body could become sort after training (with bad form especially). There’s really no reason to make a connection.

For a GP to refer post training back pain for an MRI, there would likely be additional symptoms.

Doctor has referred me for an MRI. There are no other red flags, bar the fact that it's lasting a long enough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Augme

If I had to guess I'd say it's down to poor form. While worth going to a GP, don't expect much use from it either. They aren't always great when it comes to weight training and muscle injuries. Would strongly recommend taking videos of your major lifts and see how you go.

After plenty of research it was obvious my form was never great but my youth ans strength allowed me to get away with it. As I've gotten older it's been humbling and have pretty much needed to start over from scratch. A lot core work and focusing on proper breathing and bracing and maintaining good posture throughout.

Yeah I'm early 40s now. It does feel harder. I think hormonal changes can effect strength too?

I haven't worked my core in ages, my bad :( , maybe that could be a contributing factor?

One thing to be aware of is there is a very good chance that your MRI is going to show some disc degeneration. Vast majority of people your age will have that, regardless of back pain status.

The past few days the pain had subsided substantially. I was back in the gym today after a 3 week break. Lower body session and from the first exercise, I could feel the pain increasing. I started with the HS leg press, I watch my form and try to sit properly and not to round the back. So I'm thinking now it's likely this is a gym aggravated injury of some sort.

More time off the gym?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭billyhead

Have you had someone check your form when doing exercises?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

The current thinking is that resuming normal activities if at all possible is preferable to taking time off when it comes to low back issues.

With regard to the leg press and your symptoms flaring up... Bear in mind there are no "must do" exercises.

Reducing load and tweaking form might address the problem but you could also simply sub in exercises which through trial and error you find do not aggravate your back.

Some small setbacks are also a normal part of recovery.

Leg press not a great option for someone in your situation imo. Reason being that you have to load a lot of weight on there to make it challenging for your legs, which is a lot for the back to handle.

I would start you back with something far easier on the back like step ups, pushing a sled, bodyweight squats etc. All done light and high reps. Pain should not get worse as you go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Yoga

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Bellie1

Maybe try goblet squats and see how react to them. If move slowly during them, then can easily guage if aggravating or not. Just after back issue myself, physio reckoned this time it was facet joint so only tried deadlifts Sunday after almost a month off. Physio let me try back squats ,higher volume and lower weight a few weeks ago and goblet squats . He said if pain level during the exercise is a 2 or 3 out of 10 (mild tolerable discomfort),to plough ahead and then see how feel the next day. I tried Deadlifts the second week when was feeling a bit better and they set me back to square 1 where couldn't stand upright for a few days. So am thrilled that was able to do some light DLs at weekend. I'd be more inclined to go to a sports physio than a GP as mris don't really tell much

Yeah, I've since read this, when researching online.

I only had the pain that day, it did last the day pretty much, but I woke up the next day ok. I haven't been back to the gym though as suffering with DOMS after the 3 week break, so I've just been walking. Back in tomorrow for an upper body session.

I do load it quite a bit alright. It's probably my favourite lower body exercise, I enjoy it the most. But I might need to leave it for a bit.

The leg curl was causing me discomfort/pain in the lower back again too.

Leg extension and split squats were fine. DB hip thrusts were ok. I skipped the rest.

Great that you're back doing DL's again. Maybe it's a physio I need.

Barbell is not not my favourite in general, I don't feel strong on RDL's or squats, I suppose that's why. I was enjoying dumbbell RDL's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Augme

Most of the research l looked at was on squat University. The YouTube channel is very useful as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Leg press is terrible for the back. Lots of people like it because its loaded high (you only lift about 50% of the weight). No1 vanity lift imo.

If your gym has a belted squat machine or attachment you can train squats without loading back.

single leg high step ups are a good option too.

Advertisement