Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden lights rewire/refit

Options
  • 07-04-2023 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Our garden lights and pond waterfall keep tripping out the RCD on our fuse board. Had a lad out to inspect and he has said that the whole thing should be rewired away from the RCD as it will continue to trip as whoever put in the lights/pond set up before hand did a very botch job and the problem is likely to continue without a fulll refit. He says all of the junction boxes are not watertigh and are letting in moisture, also the wiring used is all exposed (which it is) and internal wiring has been used which is likely to cause further problems in the future.

Im hoping what he is saying is honest... as i could clearly see when he opened un the junction bxes they were full of dead insects, wires exposed and non of the junction boxes were insulated. We only moved into the house a few months back.

Hes coming back with a quote for the rewiring and then also in reintalation. He is suggesting to set up a new 'box' that will be in the shed routed from the houses fuse box so its on a seperate line to the RCD (apologies if this isnt being explained correctly). In total we have about 10 tlights and the pond/waterfall out the back garden.

Im just wondering on a ballpark quote I should expect for the work to be done as i havene a clue. He said it would be about 4/5 days work and he'd probably do it over 2 visits.... rewiring and then installation.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Four-fifth of a day's work and not 4 or 5 days work? I'd expect that this would take about a day alright. Did he mention a day-rate or is he doing it by the hour?

Parts and wiring for this could be 200 EUR, maybe more and then about ~300 or so for labour?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Anything underground needs to be filled to keep moisture out ime

The old wiring system was a timer and photocell for ponds

Pump on/off from timer

Lights on /off from timer + photocell

The Shelley control would probably do all that now

Advertisement