Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group McMillan training for Dunshaughlin 10k with LeCheile 5k to chart progress

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Wottle

Popped up on runners world yesterday.

Feeling a little more confident for Dunshaughlin, 19'00 yesterday in Leixlip 5k.

With three Thursdays of sessions left we're looking to do 4x2k, 12x400m and finally the 3x2 mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

What are the upcoming sessions D?

This Thursday we're doing 4x2k off 500m jog recovery. There's about 12 in the group, there's 5 of us looking for 38'59 to 39'59.

You'd be more than welcome, Thursday 5:50pm at Marlay House carpark.

Sounds great. I'll see how the legs are feeling by then and maybe join in.

Just realised you posted the upcoming sessions on the previous post, doh.

• Advertisement

Think I'm going to stick with some gentle stuff for another few days.

Hopefully see you guys for next week's one.

No worries at all, June 8th is the big one 3x2 mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

I can now categorically say sub 40 is off the table! Attempted the 2x2 mile;2x1 mile on Tuesday but had to stop after 1st rep - legs were heavy and HR was gone into the red towards the end of the rep. Wed did an easy recovery run and legs were fine. Today attempted the session again, 1st 2 mile rep felt fine, got just over halfway through 2nd rep and the wheels came off 😓!! Just did not have the legs for it (looking at the stats my HR was fine) which is crazy as did 5k at 6:04 pace last week in a race and yet after 3 miles couldn't hold a 6:24 pace (with a break in the middle!!!).

Will adjust my goal to 40:30 which would be a 13 sec pb and a lot more realistic. Will do the 3x2 mile on Mon 5th June at 6:30 pace and see how it goes. Trim Braveheart the following Friday and then Dunshauglin the following week

While I've grown to hate these sessions they are great for feedback on fitness levels

Don't write yourself off just yet, still 3 weeks and you're very close. The mental side and belief is half the battle!

Just finished 4x2k at around 3'56/57 off a 4 minute jog recovery. Had to do this solo as a few of the faster guys did it this morning, others raced a half and one is a little under the weather. Think doing it solo will stand to me, found the last rep tough, actually found them all challenging 😅 but just as I was labouring on the last, a few kids ran with me, asking could they have my sunglasses, perfect distraction.

Nervous and giddy about the 3x2 mile in 2 weeks time.

3x2 mile done and dusted - didn't go by pace but by effort so was a bit slower (still struggled in the 2nd half of each rep but HR was lower), splits were 6:31, 6:42, 6:42. This would be a 41:12 10k which is not too far of my pb of 40:43 so aiming for sub 40:40 on the day.

Braveheart 5k on Friday and just easy runs next week with stride outs.

Glad those sessions are over with!!

• Advertisement

Super stuff @Slow_Runner finishing that session is enough to give you the confidence to attack the PB.

I'm doing the session on Thursday 😬

Followed up Leixlip 5k (19'00) with 19'08 at Bohermeen 5k. No matter how Thursday goes I'm definitely targeting the sub 40.

Hoping to drop a kilo or two by then.

3x3k did not go well at all. Last week I felt I would have nailed this but I've overdone it the last week, a few stupid mistakes.

Changed the session midway round to 3k, 2k, 1k.

I'm still going to give sub 40 a rattle, my confidence hasn't been knocked too much and I think a little freshening up and taking it easy will see me right.

Well done @Wottle , you should definitely keep the sub 40 goal based on your 5k time at Leixlip, that is a tough session especially when not in race environment. Once you are in a group it will help pull you along.

Braveheart 5k was not a great run for me - not sure what is happening but I can't seem to deal with the pace when it becomes uncomfortable - head and heart just not in it - hope that I can push through that on Saturday.

Plan to start just behind the 40min pacer (if they have one) and go through halfway in 20:15 (couldn't even manage that for the 5k in Trim!!!!) and see what the 2nd half holds.

Weather looks good for the race 20 degrees and overcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭MooShop

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CornettoQueen

If anyone has a number/spot going for this please let me know, forgot to sign up! Thanks :)

They did before, not sure about this year as haven't seen anything about it.

Best of luck this evening!

Looking forward to the reports.

Hope peoples night went better than mine!! Had stomach issues during the week (bloating/heart burn) which meant could only manage 1 meal a day from Wed onwards. Was over the worst of it by Sat and was just trying to get fluids and sodium into me but felt good so plan was go at goal pace (40:30-40:40 time) and see what the night brought.

Could really feel the humidity after my warm up - sweating quite a lot but it's only 10k so not a big factor. Started off well passing 1k in 4:03 (bang on target) and felt good. Pretty much went downhill after that! Trying to keep that pace was proving difficult early on, legs started to feel heavy and the heart burn was picking up, kept the effort going but passed halfway in 20:40 - 20 secs behind and heart rate touching zone 5 already. Only thing was to try and keep effort and HR steady and just watched as my pace gradually dropped as the kms went by. No energy in the legs, acid reflux and a severe pain in my shoulder was the story of the 2nd half of the race 😡

had a major sulk afterwards - 3 months of specific training down the drain (I know it's not wasted but felt that way on Sat)! - haven't even looked at my time - saw the gantry clock was 42min when I crossed the finish line. Didn't do a cool down jog or coffee & cake after, just walked back to my car, got in and drove home - haven't felt that dejected after a race in a long time.

Allowed myself a day of self pity yesterday, time now to dust myself off and get back at it - only way is up!!!!!!

Having said all that the Dunshaughlin 10k is a savage race - great organization for big field.

I had the exact same sulk 😅

Felt pretty positive on the start line, stuck to the game plan for 3k 3'55, 3'55, 3'59 but I knew much earlier it was game over.

Jogged the last 7k home and ran 44sth, like you I haven't looked. About 300 people passed me. I was in foul humour.

When I looked at the HR data after, I was working way too hard and even on the jog back in, my HR was very slow to come back down.

I comfort ate yesterday, eating a tonne of sugar 😅

The 8 or so weeks of specific training will still stand to me and I've a 19'00 & 19'08 5k time to work off going forward, so some positives.

Bad days happen whether it be through illness or in my case STH unknown, disappointment can be a great motivator! And will make the next good performance mean a hell of a lot more.

It's what you do next that counts 💪

Don't underestimate the humidity! I was in touching distance of a club mate who can easily run a mid 38 min 10k (at least up to halfway) and they barely got in under 40 and another club mate ran pretty slow too based on their ability so I reckon a lot of people suffered.

You had a decent training block there and some good 5k times so not all lost!!

Tempted to have another go in Clonee on Thursday, signed up for Dublin marathon in my depression today so Saturday is costing me a lot 😂

• Advertisement

Haha deadly, best of luck with DCM.

Heading to Portugal for a few days on Thursday, think I'll just let the 10k go for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Its a tough distance, I pulled my hamstring last summer doing the fingal 10k and can still feel it. I do dream of the sub 40 but it might be a while yet before I attempt it.

Advertisement