Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling in murcia

Options
  • 05-04-2023 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

I'm going to Murcia in july for a few days?

Any good cycling routes that people would recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

you might need to be a bit more specific as it is a rather big place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

whereabouts are you going? my parents live there and cycle everywhere, the coast is very flat, and drivers seem to be very courteous. these are retired cyclists who go about their business by bike, not the lycra type, however you do see plenty of folks out in all the gear on some roads. july can be insufferably hot though, mid to high 30s, 40 inland in murcia.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I did a nice route there years back. Will try dig it out

Memory is fading a bit, but I do remember that route through the hills just south of Murcia being nice

And another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

i will be staying probably in murcia city..

i havn't a place booked yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

It will be hot in July I live down the coast so realistically you need to be back by 11:00 otherwise us irish boil

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Get in touch with Noel O'Mahony at orihuela Costa cycling he'll point you in thr right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

Looks like the weather will be in the high 30s in murcia this week...im flying there this wednesday...probably too crazy to go cycling there this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Get out super early. I was down near Cartagena during a week where it was hitting 35. The only way to get some spins in was to set out at stupid o'clock and be back by 10ish. Made the mistake of trying a longer route one day. Being out at noon was a bad idea when water is running low.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

We have a place in Murcia [Bolnuevo on the coast to be precise] and head over regularly [not as much these days with flight costs] but only once have i braved the heat and done some proper road cycling and even then it was 6am or earlier starts to make sure im back by 10am before it gets too hot.

These days as someone who has moved to the darkside of MTB`s i stick to shorter mountain bike spins on glorious smooth roads and even more glorious offroad routes over there, we used to head over in July/August for a few weeks but the last few years its just consistently too hot literally never dropping below 35 most days and over 40 many times.

Ive seen 30 degrees at 9am over there regularly in the 14 years or so we have had the place so my advice is head out early.

A lovely place to take in on a spin is through la manga either north to south or vice versa depending where your based.

A nice route ive done a few times on both road and mountain bike is La azohia heading along the coast through puerto de mazarron, bolnuevo, eventually finding a beach called playa the perchellas , its a hidden gem of the beaten track through tomato plantations and some tiny villages, id suggest this as a more relaxed spin to take it all in more than anything else but if you keep going after maybe a dip in parchelas you have a stunning beach road with little in the way of traffic and every so often you will come across cafe`s to recharge, this would eventually take you to Aguilas.

Mazarron to Cartagena via the mountain is a lovely one if your after some climbing, the vuelta took this route in 21 and many times the WRC rally cars have taken it on.

This area has literally mountains coming out of its ears if your so inclined :)

Another cracking climbing spin is towards Aguilas [as mentioned above]taking in the mountains instead of the coastal road and you will literally think your on a vuelta or tdf stage route, that would be a longer day in the saddle again depending on your starting location.

Murcia is a huge region but be warned its incredibly hot in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

This. I have been bringing my bike lights on holiday for years.

Breakfast in hotel when you get back, siesta and afternoon pints. Win win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

That unfortunately is showing on google as "Permanently Closed". I may be in Torrevieja the last 2 weeks of August and might get sometime to go for a spin if anyone has recommendations for that area for bike hire?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I'm there now and it hit 41 degrees lastweek.

I hired a Cervelo R3 from Murcia Bike hire, and Stuart was very accommodating. I paid extra to get it delivered to me and picked up after, so I don't know where they are based exactly, but google will point you in the right direction if you want to pick up yourself.

The bike came set up to the seat height I wanted and had tools and an extra tube, but I took my own tools and tube anyway as well as a garmin mount.

If you need a phone no. to contact him pm me - I didn't find one on the site when I was booking

Advertisement