Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EO Panel

Options
  • 04-04-2023 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi everyone.

I was notified I passed my final EO interview and am now on the internal panel in the civil service.

The thing is I don’t want it, not right now anyways. I’m content in my role as CO after a stressful few years. I feel by accepting a position my stress levels will rise again. But when I try to explain this to people such as colleagues they tell me I’m well capable and would be crazy to turn it down.

Has anyone refused an offer.

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Augme

People have obviously refused offers before for lots of different reasons. Probably have refused it for the same reasons youbare, but those would be very rare and I am also struggling to see the relevance of whether people have refused it before or not.

If you want to refuse the offer then do, why does it matter if people think you'd be crazy to turn it down?

BTW, I do agree with them. You'd be crazy to turn it down but it's your life so live it as you think best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 thebibe86

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it

it might be hard to believe but it’s coming between me and my sleep. I was seeing if anyone had refused it.

I feel if I accept it and hate it or can’t do it I will be a failure.

and I feel if I don’t accept it, will be laughing at me.

yes, this is where my mind is at!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 katiem111

I know where you are coming from. My EO and HEO encouraged me to apply for EO and I have my interview in 2 weeks. I'm only a CO since Nov 20 and in my section since July. I barely know what I'm doing as it is! Do I really need the stress? I'm quite content as a CO. Bear in mind you could be on the panel for months so will have time to come to terms with the idea before you have to decide. I think I'd regret not at least trying. Good luck and try to put it in perspective. It's just a job, not your whole life.

Thank you for your reply.

My HEO was the very same.

best of luck !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

@thebibe86 You can turn it down if you wish however I suggest you take up the position if it is offered to you, if you are struggling in the role within the first year you can request to be put back as a CO essentially not passing your probation as an EO. Depending on where you take up the EO role would determine how stressful its going to be etc but in general the EO role is not that stressful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 katiem111

How was the interview? Everyone is being so helpful but I'm drowning in advice and information, lists of questions, bullet points, etc. Mock interview tomorrow. I feel I have enough work experience outside the CS that I shouldn't need all the BS and buzzwords, and they can take me or leave me! Does it really all come down to the right jargon? I really hope not.

Both interviews went ok. The final one was more tough, I did not think I did well at all but somehow managed to pass it. The interviewers were lovely so that helped !

the Mock interviews I had before mine really helped. The AP gave me great feedback on where my strong points were and where I can add a bit more.

I do think they want all the buzz words, and things like teamwork, values and commitment to be mentioned.

know the competencies inside out and maybe have a 2nd example. But you’ll have a fair idea after the mock interview today,

Best of luck!

Thank you for your reply.

il just wait and see where I will be offered for first and make the decision then.

Advertisement