Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a credit card for anything these days?

Options
  • 04-04-2023 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

Hi,

Just been hit with the €30 stamp duty and wondering if I actually need a credit card anymore.

Is there anything you can only do with a credit card?

All I can think of is renting a car but can you do this with a debit card? It's years since I rented one.

Also, it was always reckoned credit cards were more secure for buying online than debit cards. Is this still the case?

I tend to use revolut for most online purchases now anyway.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If you don't have a credit card Some car/most rental companies won't take your booking. Some Hotels won't accept a booking without a credit card (which is ridiculous) Was at a funeral last year and they wouldn't take my Debit card when checking in

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭muloc

Cheers. I best hang on to it then.

The hotel thing is to keep Travellers out believe it or not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I heard they use Travellers Cheques.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I got rid of mine last year, never looked back. It was encouraging bad habits and I was ending up spending my cash for next month on this month's credit card bill

I realise a lot of that depends on your level of self discipline, apparently mine isn't great

I haven't encountered anything in life where I've needed a credit card. The only one I know of which can be tricky is renting a car but I believe there's ways around it, such as pre-booking the car.

Often it seems the rental company will put a large hold on your card, so you'll probably want to double check everything in advance

Haven't found a hotel that didn't accept debit card, but I also always pre-book hotels through a site like booking.com so perhaps that has some extra payment protection for the hotel

I would examine the benefits of a credit card like buyer protection and access to emergency money before making any decisions. If you have similar facilities with your debit card then you probably don't need a credit card

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Not. Its to filter out anyone who is likely to be unable to pay the bill you run up. If you can't manage to get a card with a basic limit, it's not worth taking a gamble on you.

You need to have a word with Pat McDonagh, off the record of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭893bet

In the event your card is scimmed with a credit card it’s the banks money not your money that is missing.

Now if a debit card is skimmed you may get it back but you might be waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The only way to not get several thousand blocked on your card when renting a car is to take out the hire companies full insurance, that will be a lot more than €30 if renting for more than 1 day. You can get 3rd party excess insurance cheaper but you have to claim for that after the rental company has charged you.

Hotels will always block money on the card presented.

You are hoping that the hotel or rental company will release your money quickly when you leave the hotel or return the car if you use a debit card, with a credit card they don't block your money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭apache

I never had a credit card, just a debit card. I didn't really find it a problem paying for hotels here but in the States I had to give a large amount of cash as a security deposit. I get by with a debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I booked a car with Europcar in Lanzarote in 2020, just before Covid. The excess on the rental was about €800, I declined their insurance but they only blocked €300 on my card. I was a registered customer and had rented from them before so maybe they trusted me!

How much the rental company will block on your credit card depends on the excess, it's often several thousand with the cowboys cheap companies, principally to force you take their insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Does Ireland have anything like the UK's Section 75 protections?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tippman24

I have one but now use it mainly for bills that i know are due. I put in about €50 each payday (paid fortnightly) and usually have enough in it to pay car/house insurance. Very handy in that respect. Debit Card for everyday stuff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I use mine for most online transactions for security reasons, can do a chargeback if any fraud occurs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Same as. If a fraudulent transaction takes place on my debit card, I'm down money until the issue is resolved. So I only use the credit card online.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Juran

I was renting a car in Dublin airport around 3 years ago. While waiting in line, the couple before me (who were french) were refused the car they had booked as they did not have a credit card. They only had a Visa debit. The rental agent explained to them that the company needed to block €1,000 (something like that) on their card. If you block 1k on your card, its blocked, it cannot be spent. The rental company own that money until they release it back to your card at the end of the rental. This cannot be done with a debit card, even if you have 10 or 20k or more in your debit card account. I have my own excess insurance, I buy it annually to cover me in europe as i travel a lot for work and holidays. In every country, they still block anywhere from €800 to €1,500 on my car, depending on the car class / Size ... ie. SUV gets more blocked than a small car.

As per previous poster, i use my credit for online and abroad store purchases incase card details are stolen. Banks money, not mine.

I use my debit card for our grocery shopping and petrol station. Though they are as much risk as online or paying for stuff in say Asia or US for example. I should re-think my debit card habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Some of the replies are gas. The hotel credit card thing is very rare and the one hotel I know of that insists upon this is The Charleville Park Hotel and rightly so after how they got caught out. In reality I have stayed there several times and paid with a Debit card. As for checking your credit score by insisting on a credit card 🙈😂 Rental car is definitely a thing though but there are usually alternatives as mentioned they'll block a set amount on your Debit card.

OP only advantage I can see is for the odd loyalty discount and I use mine for monthly work expenses which can be considerable. It's also handy for holidays etc if pay run falls just after etc. It's also handy to have credit for the oh **** moments which befall everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I was renting a car in Dublin airport around 3 years ago. While waiting in line, the couple before me (who were french) were refused the car they had booked as they did not have a credit card. They only had a Visa debit. The rental agent explained to them that the company needed to block €1,000 (something like that) on their card. If you block 1k on your card, its blocked, it cannot be spent. The rental company own that money until they release it back to your card at the end of the rental. This cannot be done with a debit card, even if you have 10 or 20k or more in your debit card account.

I can't see how there was a problem. All the rental company has to do is take the excess amount from the debit card, hold on to the money and refund it when the car comes back undamaged. It sounds to me like they were playing hardball to force the tourists to buy their rip-off insurance. Or, maybe the people did not have enough money in the bank to cover the excess. It does illustrate the big difference between having a credit or debit card when it comes to car rental.

I am aware that some rental companies refuse to accept a debit card. But it begs the question - how did those people manage to book the car in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I've never had a credit card and managed so far. Never rented a car though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I used my credit card for everything, their payment protection is worth the €30 alone for me, a friend had their debit card scammed before and it was a nightmare for him, had his entire account cleared and had to get a bridging loan to get him through.

I pay mine off in total every month so instead of having a LOAD of transaction on my current account I can segment them easily, helps that I get €12 a month "reward" which more than cover the stamp duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Got rid of mine over twenty years ago. Never had a situation here or in US or Europe where I needed one. That said I haven't hired a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭blackbox

I feel much safer using the credit card for online purchases.

If money gets stolen, it's the credit card company that's out of pocket, not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

You have same protection with a visa debit card AFAIK.

Never need a credit card to book a room. If presenting with a debit card theyve just charged the room rate upfront, with a credit card it just puts a hold on the amount.

same in the states in fact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Yes but your bank account is down whatever amount of money until the claim is settled. At least with a credit card you don't have to worry about that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If the credit card company agrees with you, but the merchant gets to give input as well and it does not always go your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭MickH503

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Avant Card Credit Cards with Cashback & Award Winning Rewards | Avant Money

I've just realised I've been with them over a decade, probably over from MBNA, my initial reason for joining was I had to pay a few big deposits when I was getting married and was able to available of interest free rate on transfers which was very handy at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Debit cards may be advertised that way, but the reality is very different. The whole nature of a credit card is far safer.

Always use a Credit card for online or large purchases.

Advertisement