Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kotor Montenegro

Options
  • 03-04-2023 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

The most beautiful holiday I ever had. And this Summer it will be a mix of Albania and Montenegro. Amazing countries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

Was in Kotor last September, quality spot. Check out Bosnia if you can, probably the best place I've visited in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Can you recommend specific parts of Bosnia

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

Myself and the missus stayed 3 days in Mostar, we travelled by public bus to Blagai and Medugorje which are close by. Then we travelled on to Sarajevo for 2 days, loads to see and do there, we went up the cable car where the winter Olympics were held and went out to the war tunnel which is a bit awkward to get to but worth it.

If I was doing it a again, I would stay for 7 to 8 days and add in day trips kravica falls and Travnik

Lovely people, great local food and drink which were for nothing, cheap accommodation, highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

we were in Montenegro ( back a week ) in late September and early October, we loved it and only regret we didn’t do more homework in advance as we really needed to stay in other places apart from our base in Kotor to take in all the top attractions, Montenegro is a small country but a slow country to get around as roads are narrow ( surface good though) and it’s mountainous nearly everywhere

we took in everything in Kotor including the climb to the fort overlooking the bay , took a three hour boat tour in the bay of Kotor that took in the blue caves , our lady of the rock and a few other places

we also spent an evening in nearby Perest which is really charming

we visited Budva twice , I think I slightly preferred Budva to Kotor , from Budva on one of the days we travelled to Lovcen national park and did the climb to the mausoleum which provides the most spectacular views

regrettably however we didn’t get to Durmitor national park and many travellers we met swore it was the standout attraction, it’s in the North and a three hour drive from Kotor in the south , in hindsight I think the capital Podgorica might be the best base , we didn’t go to the capital and apparently it’s totally forgettable but geographically it’s a good strategic base for exploring everywhere , a better idea might be to spit the trip between five days in Kotor or Budva and maybe two in one of the small towns in the north

Montenegro is spectacular , the food is very good, the coffee excellent, we found Montenegrin people nicer than Croatians though customer service is certainly not as polished as in Ireland , cash is the main transaction, cards tend not to be overly welcomed

the drivers are nothing short of maniacs , be careful if driving or even on foot in towns ,especially in Kotor , incredibly busy place with traffic

wonderful place to visit though not a low effort - everything served on a plate destination, it’s an active holiday destination as it’s considerably less developed than neighbouring Croatia , that didn’t bother us but perhaps would others

Advertisement