Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID3 vs Corolla hybrid

• 03-04-2023 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Father is looking at both of these VW ID3 vs Corolla hybrid

I am not able to convince him of the ID3 and he has a point, he has a 171 Diesel Corolla at the moment and local Toyota dealer he has used for 2 previous Toyota's are offering him 2.5k more trade in than VW dealer

58kWh 204bhp ID3 Life is 28k inc trade in

Corolla Luna 140bhp is 17.5k inc trade in

He's driven both and coming from a diesel found them both really nippy and refined, preferred the Corolla look inside and outside and even though the ID3 has a lot more HP, he thought the Corolla felt nearly as quick, not noticeable to him, he is used to a manual diesel so the auto corolla shifted well.

Anyway the only argument I have in favour of ID3 is running costs, but it doesn't seem that much cheaper, he really doesn't want the hassle of charging either, VW salesman said Listowel to Dublin, 270km wouldn't be possible without a charge as well.

He is paying 36c per Kw with bord gais and looking around unless he goes for night usage which he doesn't want ( washing machine at night fire risk etc ) I can't see a much better rate for day usage, from reading around 20kWh/100km seems about the consumption for his driving year round, mixture of national road and motorway vs 5.5l/100km for Corolla, €1.65 per litre

€7.20 for 100km in ID3

€9 for 100km in Corolla

Toyota are throwing in 3 year free servicing too and road tax is negligible €120 vs €170

I don't know, I don't think €10,500 difference between the 2 is attractive when you consider the drawbacks of electric.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,997 ✭✭✭✭KCross

preferred the Corolla look inside and outside

Based on that I'd say his mind is made up. Car purchase decisions are as much about how the car makes you feel as it does about the actual finances.

And it is hard to argue when the price difference is €10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

The new prius phev is coming this year, I doubt it will be a cheaper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Supposedly it will be over 50k and no hybrid version just plugin he would go for the Rav4 at that price point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Hahaha no value with rav4 phev either, the hybrid version is 10k less, it would make you think Toyota are milking the self charging hybrid for all its worth, kia ceed phev is 37k from memory, nice looking car, it will be hard to beat your present Toyota offer .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭VikingG

Why are you trying to convince him - it will be your fault if some charger isn't working or he cant figure out the apps. You said he doesnt want the hassle of charging then he really should not be buying an electric. At least he is out of the diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭creedp

Agree, leave the EVs for those who actually want one

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

The only way is work out how long it will take to get the 10k back, which is probably 11k once you install a charger

If he prefers Toyota interior you could look at the full electric crossover Toyota but they ain’t cheap

Bets to go with what he likes, otherwise you might end up listening to 4-5 years complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭daheff

How much mileage does he do?

Multiply that by difference in fuel and see how long it takes to breakeven. Anything more 3 years isn't worth it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭Casati

You mention Listowel so if he’s in the habit of driving to Dublin or elsewhere far from Kerry then he’s going to be forking out maybe 70 cent per kWh at chargers. Equally petrol could go back to €2.00 and potentially electricity might drop (or increase) in price too.

No doubt you will get posters on saying they can charge a full battery for 10 cent with their magical night rate deals and the ID3 is as big inside as a 7 series and you’d be mad to consider ‘self charging’ but really buying another Corolla seems the best option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Corolla hybrid sounds like the best option for your dad. It is a leap forward for him going to an automatic hybrid as you say so he is getting into something more modern. It sounds like he wants hassle free motoring. I understand that VW still hasn't sorted their software issues and that would potentially be another irritation.

Waiting also for someone to highly recommend an old leaf with 60kms range. Will get you from Listowel to Tralee and sure you can get the train to Dublin!

Brothers live in Dublin so he goes there a bit. I can't see to magical electrical deals either lol, even if he went night rate, which he won't I am seeing 18c lowest and then nearly 40c for day use. Anyone have a link those 10 cent night rate deals?

Reading the news everyday it seems we will all have to get one eventually, no more new petrol and diesel cars from 2030 and the resale might be affected down the line on the Corolla

That's why I was telling him look at the ID3, but it's too expensive to change and even the Chinese MG isn't much cheaper, which he would never buy anyway

Or the other way of looking at it is that resale will be strong in that it will be a seven year old relatively fresh petrol powered car when it will not be possible to buy a new one. No matter how much EVs will have come on, there will be a cohort who will want nothing to do with them and will be looking for decent alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I wouldn't mind the news, 5 years ago petrol to Diesel was the way to go, now Diesel seems to run on children's tears

Advertisement