Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best University for Secondary PME and how to pick school placements?

Options
  • 02-04-2023 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Are there any advantages to attending a certain University for PME (say Maynooth vs UL vs Hibernia)? The biggest difference I can see is Maynooth is more spread out with teacher placement where as UL is more block placement.

I'd prefer not to go my old secondary school for placement so how do people choose which schools to apply for?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Post edited by Maestro23 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You're going to cover the same material wherever you go, so after that it probably depends if you would prefer to do block placement or day release. Some of the colleges will also have a restriction on how far you can travel from the college for the placement, for visits from your teaching practice inspector, so that might be something to consider.

Both types of placement have their advantages.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

There's no difference in college. I would say pick one that is near to somewhere you can afford to live in, and decide if you'd like to be in the school every day or just for block release. The latter is good if you don't want the stress of having to teach and do college work. I would prefer to be in a school every day to pick up some subbing.

Advertisement