Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

APN for 3 SIM in 5g router?

Options
  • 02-04-2023 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

Hi. What is the best APN for a prepay 3 SIM in a 5g router. Should I stick with the one that loads by default or will I be throttled over time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭shmeee

I am using the following APN with a Three sim on a 3 Prepay 20 PAYG plan. I messed around with different APN's and this one just held the best - again, no facts to back it up, just worked best for me. But I just stuck with this one for the last few weeks since.

APN: 3broadband.ie

Rest of the fields blank / default.

I was trying the following APN's; 3ireland.ie, open.internet & 3internet prior to the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

How long have you been using the 20 payg? Do you always leave it in the router?

Thanks.

Using it 7 months or so now. Yep, always left in the router. Top up every 28 days via MyThree app.

So I noticed a strange thing regarding APNs routers SIM cards and phones connecting on 4G/5G on the 3network.

On my 4G+ B535 Huawei router I had my 3 phone SIM in on test over the last few weeks. Using the code for band selection I could switch between different transmitter bands, everything worked well and was able to switch in between them all with ease. (For reference was using 3Broadband.ie as the APN)

Where things take a turn was I went into a Three shop to get their SIM only €29.99 data deal (the one that doesn't have the CPR yearly inflation bullcrap attached to it... I think it's the only one left in their family of offerings now) in that way I could put that 'data only' SIM into a phone and legally tether as that is the SIMs primary purpose) Tested it in my phone outside the shop and was easily getting 200 down and at least 50 up happy days. No need for 5G so...

Popped that new SIM into the router at home and again using the band code, I was able to see that it connected to only some of the cells/sites... The light would stay red on the ones where it wasn't getting data even if the signal was strong. Changing to different APNs worked for a few cell sites but there wasn't one that worked for all of them unlike the phone SIM that did work for all..

Also found out the APN '3broadband.ie' does not work on this 'Data only' SIM in 4G but does in 3G.. Odd.. And also works happily on my phone on 3G 4G and 5G.

So I suppose a word of warning that 'data only' SIMs from three will only let you connect to some of the sites/ cells and different APNs used with those SIMs will determine which of the of the sites it connects to.

Was able to maintain a 50 to 80 down and 10 to 15 up on three bars signal with band number 7 locked in, so gonna leave that there more testing. Ended up using the APN 'open.Internet' so it can stay connected to a mast near me.

So the data sim only letting you input certain APN's. From my time of messing with three APN's, open.internet was a data only APN and I think was an APN pulled from 02 the time and their data only sim APN.

Very odd that 3broadband.ie isn't holding for you as that AFAIK is a Three data sim APN.

I've given up messing with mine now, it drops to maybe 10-20mbps in peak times now and again and I'm just going to deal with it. It holds for IPTV, Netflix etc and during day when WFH I need it solid and to be fair it is 60-80mbps.

NBI was outside the gate yesterday and I told him my NBI connection is down for July 2024, but from what he has seen in the area, it should be sometime this year as final stage of works getting completed now.

• Advertisement

Yep it's kinda odd that only some APNs work for data with a 'data only' sim. Was confused by the 3.Broadband.ie APN not working as that is what I was using in my phone and worked perfect in the same router.. in the end just using 'internet' or 'open/internet' works on most of them but not all.. You get some that will open up when you change APN but no one 'name' works for them all (unless you pop the phone SIM in and restart the router.

Can understand you settling for a connection that just works,, it can be a pain in the a$$ setting and resetting every few days,, lol I'm only a few days in and I'm almost done!. I'm doing all this just to get rid of Imagine as they are starting to get sus after a few years with them.. my last home was the very same as in a few years in and it slows down.. Right now three is working and from what I hear they have killed the FUP on most if not all offerings.

Hoping you get on the NBI train as soon as you can! I see it here too but its late 24 by the time its live for me that's the reason I went sim only with three until then. Best of luck with it all the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Interesting you say band 7…. That’s the first I’ve seen any of the new MBSA spectrum in use.

Would you mind sharing your rough location ?

I assume it’s either a 20mhz or 15mhz block ?

First I’ve seen any operating using 2600mhz in Ireland.

Wicklow, near the beehive pub off the N11.

Router is still locked to B7 as its always giving consistent results throughout the day even though it's not the strongest of signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Any chance you can see the EARFCN your using ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

I took a chance on this router from ali hope i dont get hammered with customs when it comes maybe it will get thru with the start of the xmass post coming end of november . They only charged me 169 dollars so might be a refurbished unit.

Unlocked ZTE MC801A WiFi 6 3.8Gbps 5G Wireless Router 4G LTE Cat22 Dual-Band Mobile Hotspot RJ11 5G Sim Card Gigabit Home Router - AliExpress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Hope it'll get through without "adventures", because if intended to use with three...

https://ie.webuy.com/search?stext=ZTE%20MC801A&availability=In%20Stock%20Online,In%20Stock%20In%20Store

The one i got marked like "3" is unlocked to any network anyway.

Just got a text message charge of 8.46 for Modem so just a handling fee so they must have bought the low charge stated on package lucky for me.

Now getting good 5G Download speed with new Modem but poor up load up to 20mb the only problem I am having with new Modem is it won't work landline phone it must be set to only work in 4G/5G mode & I can't alter this with web interface as it's very basic.

This is working without external aerial as I am waiting on adapters for my old aerial off of old Modem to fit new Modem.

I am just getting the engaged sound when i try to make a call with modem using a landline phone i am waiting for a reply from seller to fix this.

I found the answer to my question 3 have the rj45 socket deactivated on this Modem pity.

Three(as well as other providers) might have RJ11 port deactivated , but if router is with their firmware. You posted that yours came from aliexpress - does it show three(other) logo within GUI?

Landline phone only work if router set to auto (or 3G only) for network selection - voice still goes over 3G, during call (in or out) connection would drop to 3G. Restored after call is over.

Still doesnt work.

sorry you are right only 4G/5G are showing in drop down auto box. No 3G Its day were numbered anyway with vodafone turning off 3G pity it was handy service as a house phone for my mother.

I gather it might be disabled within firmware. Takes messing with javascript to expose/enable

I will just put up with it if there was a easy fix I would do it.

• Advertisement

I solved my problem with this phone on ali Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! US $114.39 | Android LTE Fixed Wireless landline 4G SIM network video phone universal elderly WIFI Touch Screen video Telephone home office

All I have to do is keep it topped up every couple of months to keep the SIM active & I can use yolla & Viber for out going calls that can't be made free. It's basically for my mother that doesn't always keep her phone on her & charged so she can be contacted.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqmKfdw

I am using the old 3 SIM that you get to keep your credit in 5G Router I thought 3 said you needed to change Sims to get 5G service that's not true because I am receiving 5G Signal with it. The credit pays for my online storage and the points from playstore will keep yolla topped up.

Advertisement