If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can a neighbour circumvent a "further information" query into overlooking?

  • 31-03-2023 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

    I thought to start a new thread arising out of the below discussion

    How to imposes conditions during a planning submission/observation — - Now Ye're Talkin'

    My friend submitted an "objection" to a neighbours plan to add a large dormer (nearly full width of roof) to a semi-d bungalow. My friend didn't mind the single storey rear extension that was also being sought.

    The planners requested "further information" asking how the applicant would overcome the issue of creating a new overlooking situation where one didn't exist before. Apparently the local area plan doesn't allow this.

    In what ways could the applicant overcome this issue? The dormer is for bedrooms with normal bedroom windows in it. Could they do something simple like put in obscure glass or some such?



  • Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

    In what ways could the applicant overcome this issue?

    1. put windows on walls so that there is no over looking
    2. build screens protecting any overlooked areas
    3. turn windows so that they face away from overlooked areas (google "angled windows to avoid overlooking")

    obscure glass does not cut it, as obviously the window should be openable.

  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Auntie

    Thanks Syd,

    That sounds reassuring. My friend isn't against the application per se but just wants to retain the privacy enjoyed for many years.

  • Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

    That's a very strange title/question for the thread. The way the planning works in these circumstances is the applicant will have to submit revised drawings/proposals and then the objector has the right to examine those and make a further submission if necessary.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

    I have a friend whose parents house was overlooked by the house built beside it.

    They did object and they had to put some sort of different windows in and got planning. But then they changed the windows they put in and after all the complaints nothing was done about it. It was almost like they could comply with planning and then do something different. Hope this doesnt happen nowadays.

    My friends father planted thos horrible evergreen trees along the side of the house and garden next door. His garden is huge but the neighbors is very small. Anyway a few years later that house is surrounded by what must be 50 foot trees. ID say the sun never sines into that garden or on the back of the house.

  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Auntie

    Yes, a poor title. sorry.

    Regarding these revised drawings (and I can't see how they'd revise). Is it up to my friend to keep an alert eye out for that submission or will they be notified by the planning dept as to a revised submission, given they've already got skin in the game?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

    Your mate should be notified by the Council of any new submissions by the applicant. If any revised proposals were deemed "significant" by the planners ( completely revised design for example) then the applicant would have to re-advertise ie. New notices in paper and site. In any event your mate should check the status of the application every couple of days either online or in person in the planning dept.I

    Just to note that should the applicant not respond to the FI request within 6 months then the application will be deemed to be withdrawn.