Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The singing priest Thurles

• 31-03-2023 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭

I was just groggily saying this to my girlfriend. There’s nothing happening in Ireland anymore. Thurles, the town that gave us Feile festival (which would later evolve into Witness/Oxegen) the highlight of the year is the singing priest!

Throughout the UK, bands that were big in the 1980s (E.g The Human League, ABC, AHA, Rick Astley etc) tour most cities and provincial towns with very reasonable admission. Ireland it’s the singing priest or some paddy whackary country music “star” for €35/50 admission.

there really is feck all going on in this country.

I’m ashamed to say my girlfriend is proud she went to that hick festival in Holycross a few years ago.

Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Thurles is a country now?

I’d say she was overcome with lust and desire after that pillow talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Thurles has evolved into an awful dive of a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Jesus you’re crippled with small mindedness. Fr Kelly is giving a concert in aid of the Raise The Roof fund for the cathedral. It’s ok that you wouldn’t enjoy Fr Kelly but it seems to come as a shock to you that other people enjoy things that you don’t. I wouldn’t enjoy Fr Kelly either but I understand that people like all kinds of things that I don’t, but that’s no excuse to mock and scorn them. You forgot to mention that the €35/€40 was in favor of the cathedral.

You need to get out into the world and live a little, in my opinion.

The country music festival in Holycross draws a crowd from all over the place. Nobody is forcing you to go. You’re giving the impression that you feel that entertainment events in Thurles should only go ahead with your approval.

Does your girlfriend know you despise her taste in entertainment?

What you should do is hire the premier hall or even Semple Stadium and arrange for that your of 80s stars to come and perform. According to you it’s really simple to organize these things.

Your other choice is as I already mentioned to get out of small town Ireland and get out into the world where everything is so much more cosmopolitan and sophisticated. For a cosmopolitan sophisticated person like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

It’s the whole world for this particular poster. He appears to be trapped here for years and years being held against his will for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Things have become too slick, expensive, and safety-conscious, you would need millions to put on even small festivals.

Years ago you use to be able to see the likes of Nancy Griffith or Christy Moor in a pub, wouldn't happen now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It's a love-hate relationship it's like a culchie living in Dublin all their lives, yet even at 80 they still talk about going home when they take a trip to Tipp or Kerry or whatever county they grew up in.

Advertisement